"Appearance is everything," she said. "If your clothes are unclean, get them in the laundry—" her eyes roved over each of us, her nose crinkling in disgust, "Those of you with rips and stains are to leave here and report directly to laundry for something new. Do not be seen walking around as you are in front of our visitors."

How long would these visitors be in town? Who were they that the Morrí wanted to spend so much time impressing them? I lost myself in my own thoughts as she continued to speak, going over what must be done and what was expected of us. Representatives of the other crowns, I guessed. I thought about the people I encountered during the previous night's soiree and knew they were important in one way or another. The way Ró had scared off the younger Morrí, the promise of freedom he made, I knew he must have been high ranking. Probably a military officer or zashar's guard to whichever kingdom he was from. That Faedra was going over all of this now only confirmed those thoughts. The Morrí wanted to put on a good face for their foreign friends.

She dismissed most of the girls to get on with their day but ordered several of us to hang back. I was sure she hated having me hang back, but whatever it was for it was important because the four of us left had been in service of the zashar the longest. We would not be an embarrassment or commit any faux-pas.

"There will be a late breakfast served for the zashar and his esteemed guests. You four get up to the private dining to assist Marlee." We all nodded and started toward the stairs. "You stay," she snapped before I could make my escape.

"You believe it is acceptable to arrive late when I've summoned you?"

Some of the girls had warmer feelings toward Veetrala, they respected her somehow, looked up to her. I had no such feelings. She never called us by name, though I was sure after spending so long ordering us around she knew them all. It was a choice. Knowing our names was not something she cared to learn. I would have thought it necessary to refer to us by name since there were more than twenty of us, but she managed without. It simply wasn't worth the effort it took to learn and use the names given to us by our families.

"No, Veetrala," I said, bowing my head in forced deference. I didn't apologize because I knew she hated it. I also wasn't sorry, but I wouldn't admit that.

"You will serve at breakfast and then report to the bagrai. Maybe a day of cleaning up after the criminals will teach you to arrive on time and not disrespect your superiors."

When it became clear she had nothing further to say, I left. My feet couldn't carry me from her presence quickly enough. I rushed up several flights of stairs until I was pushing open the door to Zashar Juleen's private kitchen. Marlee, who was already speaking with Mia, Camille, and Danielle turned to me and smiled, her eyes crinkling at the corner.

"Last minute breakfast," she announced speaking to us without stopping what she was doing as she worked to ready the meal. She sounded frazzled and I didn't blame her. She was rolling dough in a rush, creating pastries for the occasion. It was something I knew she usually did all the prep work for the evening prior to a breakfast such as this one, and then simply had to cook them in the morning.

"Set the table please," she said, pointing with one flour covered hand toward a neat stack of dishes. "Make sure there isn't a water mark on the plates and the silver is polished. Understood?"

We nodded and excused ourselves to set the table. Camille and Danielle grabbed the plates while I reached under the counter and into a cabinet where we kept the polish for the silver and Mia found the tablecloth. She walked beside me, placing distance between us and the other two girls.

"I'm sorry," she said. "I would have woken you if I realized you overslept."

"No need to apologize." I shrugged. "I slept poorly."