The drums banged into the early morning air and then the crowd parted and Ray'et's opponent stepped forward.

The crowd rippled in conversation, but their noise was drowned out by the roaring of Maliha's heart as horror stuck her body.

"Oh goddess." She cried, her anxiety skyrocketing.

"Maliha you have to stop them. He will hurt Ray'et."

Maliha was glued to the spot as the tattoo of a Draganir moved along the skin of Ujarak's back.

"Maliha."

Maliha Cried out as the pain of Darsan's nails digging into the wounds she had previously inflicted, jarred Maliha into movement but not as Darsan wished.

"Why do you care?"

Darsan's throat bobbed in consternation as she looked to the pit where the two men were sizing each other up.

"Darsan." Called Maliha, her eyes flickering to the two men and back to Darsan who was wringing her hands anxiously.

"I kissed him." Darsan mumbled. Shame coated her skin pink and large globs of tears cascaded down her cheeks.

Maliha mutely acknowledged Darsan's confession. Her lips pursed tightly as she tried to understand her tumultuous emotions. Where she should have felt the green bite of jealously, Maliha felt none. Nothing but pity and annoyance but not at Darsan.

She felt annoyed by these two men. She was annoyed by Ray'et for not telling her, though Maliha acknowledged that time had not been their friend.

"It's okay Darsan."

Maliha tried to console the sobbing girl, patting her on her pack and pulling her into a tight embrace. This situation had become a lot more complex than she had ever imagined it would be, but she couldn't deal with Darsan's confessions or emotions now. She had to stop these two stubborn males.

Leaving Darsan with one final pat, Maliha headed into the crowd of people. She was jostled to and fro by the boisterous crowd, people gave her dirty looks whilst others acknowledged her with curious stares.

As she broke through to the front of the crowd, a firm hand gripped her wrist and pulled her back.

"Let them fight."

"Are you crazy?" Maliha snapped.

Abazz' dark skin rippled as he enclosed his arms around her chest and kept her locked to his side.

"Aren't we all crazy?" He chuckled.

Maliha tried to break his grip but he pulled her tighter into his side. His thick muscles contracting around her like a snake.

"Don't worry Maliha, this is normal behaviour for them. They have never quite gotten along as family should," muttered Abazz.

"Family?" Maliha choked, her mouth gaping open as she sputtered in disbelief.

"Yes, they are cousins. Their fathers were close but that caused a rift amongst between Uja and Ray. One that results in constant disagreements and fights."

Watching the two men Maliha could see that they were quite similar in body weight and stature.

"Cousins."

Maliha was incredulous. She was in complete denial. Ujarak and Ray'et couldn't be cousins. They couldn't be but looking at both males now, she could see the clear resemblance that marked them as family.

How had she missed the obvious?

Both of their noses were wide, their lips were full, and their colour was almost the same shade, barring that Ujarak was slightly darker from his travels. The texture of their hair was similar, and their angular jaws were almost identical. Though their eyes were different shapes and colours, they could almost pass as brothers. Perhaps it was Ujarak's clean shaven face that made the resemblance obvious now where it previously had not been.