Chapter 2- The Hoodie

Phil didn't mind that he was always the first person at school in the morning. He was about 95% sure that no other rational human being was awake at 6:15 on a cloudy, foggy Monday, but this didn't bother him at all. Shivering slightly in the cool morning air, he walked over the grassy hill and past the deserted football field, the dew on the grass wetting his sneakers. Even this early in the morning, there were a few signs of life- there were a couple of birds chirping in the trees, and a squirrel ran across his path as he walked down the hill.

Smiling to himself, Phil hopped over the rusty fence surrounding the garden. For a few seconds, he simply stood there, admiring the flowers and plants that had bloomed so far. Then he reached down and picked a single flower- a tiny daffodil with a long stem. Phil tucked the daffodil behind his ear, weaving part of the stem into his hair so it wouldn't fall out. Every morning when he got to school, he would always put some flowers in his hair. Sometimes it would be a full-blown flower crown, and other times it would just be a single flower, like today. He knew that when people saw him in the halls, they would stare at him and sometimes throw some rude comments his way, but he didn't care. The flowers always made him feel happy and gave him a little mood boost throughout the day.

As Phil bent down and started rummaging in his backpack, he could hear some faint footsteps coming towards him. He lifted his head and was surprised to see none other than Dan walking towards him. The brunette was dressed in black jeans and an oversized navy blue hoodie emblazoned with a crescent moon that seemed to glow slightly through the fog. Raising an eyebrow, Phil stood up and walked over to the edge of the fence. "Hi, Dan..."

"Hey." Dan smiled and nodded, pushing a few strands of hair out of his face.

"What are you doing here?" Phil asked. "I didn't think you'd be at school at all on a Monday, never mind this early in the morning..."

"Well, I figured you'd be here pretty early. I just wanted to talk to you." 

"Talk to me? About what?" Phil asked, tilting his head to the side slightly. 

"About anything." Dan leaned against the fence, drumming his fingers against his thigh. "I just wanna get to know you..."

"But why?" Phil asked, putting his hands in his pockets. "I mean, we only saw each other once... why would you show up to school early just to talk to someone you only met because of detention?"

"I don't know..." Dan sighed, tugging his sleeves over his hands, forming a warm layer between his fingers and the cold metal of the fence. "You just seem interesting to talk to, that's all..." 

Phil felt his face growing hot at Dan's words, and he looked down at the ground, pretending to be fascinated with a patch of crabgrass. Finally, he willed himself to speak. "Well... what did you want to talk to me about?"

Dan shrugged as he hopped over the fence, being sure to step on a few dandelions and not on the plants. "What kinda stuff do you like to do besides gardening?" 

"Well, I actually have a Youtube channel. I mostly just tell stories about my life. Nothing special," Phil grinned.

"That's cool," Dan smiled and leaned against the fence. "I considered doing that, but I figured that no one would watch my videos. So I've just never done it."

"If you really want to do that, you shouldn't let failure keep you from doing it. I didn't get any views at first, but once more people found out about my channel more people started watching it." 

"I guess." Dan shrugged and looked up at the sky. "It's raining a bit..." As he spoke, a raindrop landed on Phil's forehead. Phil flinched slightly at how cold it was and shivered slightly, looking down at his shoes. He had no idea why he had decided not to bring a jacket. A few seconds later, he felt something being draped over his shoulders. Looking up, he saw that Dan had taken off his oversized hoodie and put it on him. "You can wear that if you're cold." Dan made a tiny smile.

Phil could feel himself starting to blush again. "Thank you," he mumbled as he slid his arms into the sleeves and pulled the hood over his head. Why are you getting embarrassed? It's just a hoodie... 

"You wanna head inside? It's starting to rain harder." Dan gestured towards the back door of the school.

"Yeah." Swinging his backpack onto his shoulder, Phil opened the gate and walked towards the door, Dan trailing after him looking slightly like a lost puppy. He managed to pull open the heavy metal door and held it open for Dan. He stood in the doorway, looking out at the quickly darkening clouds and the sprinkling rain before closing the door and turning to Dan. "There's still an hour and a half until school starts..."

"Hmm..." Dan thought for a few seconds. "How about we just hang out near my locker til class starts? You can show me your Youtube channel if you want to..."

"That sounds good." Phil smiled at him.

Time skip (brought to you by no one in particular)

"Your videos are actually really good!" Dan smiled. The two of them were leaning against the wall of lockers in the upstairs hall, Dan's Macbook perched between them. 

"Thanks... I mean, they're nothing special, I just filmed them on a cheap video camera..." Phil shrugged, tugging the sleeves of Dan's hoodie over his hands and smiling slightly. "But thanks anyways."

"I'm serious, these are really good," Dan said, clicking the "subscribe" button. "I wish I could make videos like that... I have no creative skills whatsoever..."

"You don't need creative skills to make videos. All you need is something to film with, and a bit of imagination," Phil grinned. "At least, that's what I say..."

"I still don't know... I feel like all my videos would just be weird and cringy." Dan sighed quietly, moving the mouse around in a small circle on the screen. 

"I'm sure they'd be fine. You're a pretty interesting person too," Phil said, playfully bumping Dan's shoulder with his head. Just as Dan was about to respond, the morning bell rang. Phil sighed and stood up. "Well, this was fun..."

"Yeah." Dan smiled, closing his Macbook and clambering to his feet. "I'll see you later-"

"Wait!" Phil started to unzip Dan's hoodie. "I never gave you your hoodie back."

"Actually, you can keep it." Dan zipped the hoodie back up and pulled the hood over Phil's head. "It looks better on you anyways." And with that, he disappeared down the hall, leaving Phil standing stock-still in the middle of the hallway with a tomato-red face and an oversized hoodie draped over his shoulders.

The Boy in the Garden (Phan)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें