4: Fragile Patient

Start from the beginning

[Maybe. They did mention a master. None of the ones present had enough power to block me. There had to be someone else nearby.]

"I won't let that master get away with it. I will figure this all out and get my revenge." Imogen felt tears stinging his eyes. He'd been through so much in this one day. The confusion, stress and sorrow that built up in such a short time overwhelmed him. He let it all out now that he was safe with Unai. The hot tears streamed down his face as sobs choked in his throat.

Unai nuzzled and licked Imogen to comfort him as he cried. Unai cried too whimpering and softly howling out his own sorrow at not being able to prevent the attack on Imogen. 

They cried and snuggled until no tears were left. Wiping his face on the blanket he asked Unai, "How do you know that starman? Lenix you called him? Can we trust him?" Being betrayed by his wife and friends caused him to be suspicious of everyone but Unai right now. 

[I didn't know Lenix before. He was highly recommended by my tribe. Some of my kin have been trained and raised by him. He is trustworthy. So I especially requested his help and convinced him to come. He is young but is considered a genius.]

"I'm not a beast you know Unai. How will he be able to raise me, and where is he? Shouldn't he be here with me?" He was pouting and huffed a bit in annoyance, burying his face in Unai's soft fur. "He should be protecting me if that's what he came for." 

[ I'm here with you, you're safe.] 

"Sorry Unai, I wasn't doubting you. I know you'll protect me." He hugged Unai again.  

[It doesn't matter that you aren't a beast. Just think of Lenix as someone strong that can teach you a lot. He is searching the area and will return soon.]   

They sat in silence for a bit as Imogen looked around the room. It was small and dusty. There was one large bed he was sitting on with Unai. The only other furnishings were a side table and a ladderback chair in one corner.

Unai lifted his head, his ears perked. [Lenix says he is on his way back with some food.]

Imogen tilted his head in confusion at Unai's statement. "How do you know he's on his way back? Can you hear him?" 

[He just told me. He has telepathic communication abilities like a beast. It's an essential skill for beast trainers.]

"People can do that without a contract!? Is that a type of unknown magic also?" Imogen's eyes opened wide in astonishment.

[Lenix is here.] Unai looked toward the doorway not answering Imogen's question so that Lenix would be able to communicate with Imogen without interruption.

Looking in the direction Unai indicated, Imogen saw a tall figure approaching through the shadowy hallway. He was obscured by the dimness. As he stepped into the room Imogen saw the man clearly for the first time. He did look young, younger than Imogen had been before he died. He had a powerful bearing that reassured Imogen of his ability despite his apparent youth.  

This feeling is familiar, Imogen thought. Not exactly fear, but Imogen felt he should kneel and wait for orders. Like he was facing a great general, ancient mage or a king. How can this guy be just some beast trainer? 

I thought he had dark eyes? I remember dark starry eyes, oh but I also remember them flashing with a bright light. The room was very dark and my memories are kind of blurry so maybe I'm wrong. His bright gold eyes now are very attractive. 

All his meandering thoughts came to an abrupt halt as one word entered his mind.

[Imogen.] The man stopped in front of him placing something on the small table near the bed.