10: Confrontation?

Two days later and the pain is barely noticeable. I have some decent muscle definition and the added height. I think I look about fourteen now and so much healthier. 

Lenix has been practicing speaking when it's just us so he can get better at my language. I kind of miss the bits of feeling that would come through with his thoughts, but his voice is nice to hear. Especially his accent. 

"You have to promise to only speak out loud to me. We can practice and I'll correct you. But don't speak to anyone else at all!" I was standing in the middle of the bed with my hands on my hips. Unai looked up at me for a moment then rested his head again with a huff.

"Why is that?" Lenix had just walked into the room with a tray of food. He set it down on the side table and looked at me with an eyebrow raised at my sudden declaration.

"I'm special and I want to be the only one to hear you," and see your cute embarrassed face.

He walks over slowly. I falter a little as he stands at the side of the bed not sure what he is planning to do. Is he mad? I was a bit presumptuous, to late to regret it now. I shudder as he reaches toward me. He just gives me that insufferable patient look he gets and ruffles my hair.

"Nooo." I swing my arms to slap away his hands. "I'm serious. Don't patronize me!"

He pulls me over to him, looks up at me and says quietly. "Alright, I'll only speak to you, Imogen, for now. But I'll have to speak normally to everyone when we go to the academy."

"You are going to attend the academy?" How did that never occur to me before?

"How else will I train and protect you while you search for clues of why you were murdered?" He steps back to the sidetable and hands me a plate with a sandwich and some fruits.

"You will be a student?" I sit down on the bed and stare at him, perplexed. Taking a few bites of food.

"That's right." 

"A magician?"

"Mhm and a summoner."

"A summoner! You have a summon?"

"Nope, but I have plenty of beasts. I'll just lie, no one will know it isn't a contracted summon."

Lenix as a student? Seems so wrong since he is a teacher to me. "How old are you? Can you really pass as a student?"

"Nineteen, Unai said there isn't exactly an age limit though most students are 15 to 21."

Lenix is only nineteen? That's even younger than I thought. "You're only two years older than me?"

"Is that so? Are you seventeen? I thought you are sixteen."

"I'll turn seventeen soon."

"When is your birthday?"

"I don't actually know, I only know it's in the summer," I shrugged "probably. At least I count myself older every year mid-summer on a randomly chosen day when I wake up and think, this is the day."

"Be sure to let me know this year alright? I'll have gifts for you."

"Mhm, sure." I was too engrossed in imagining Lenix at the academy to think about my birthday right now as I mindlessly nibbled on some fruit. 

I hadn't thought about him being there with me, enrolled as a student. I can't imagine it. The tests, the lectures, the dorms. The girls...after him...taking his attention from me, ugh that part I can picture all too vividly. 

Maybe I don't really need to go. I could forget my past life. Live happily being spoiled, with Lenix all to myself. We could travel to all the worlds and eat all the foods. Just the three of us and however many beasts Lenix has.