Chapter 17: The girl with a new friend

Not Edited

It wasn't the sunlight that woke Taylor up, no, it was rather the annoying sound of Darkness singing in Taylor's left ear as Taylor laid on her right side, facing the window of her bedroom. The curtains were drawn back, Taylor forgot to close the curtains last night, she was not herself last night.

Instead of going to the restroom Taylor ran away from the club, took a cab back home and broke down crying in the middle of her living room as her thoughts winded her mind up.

Taylor just couldn't believe that Darkness was real, she thought she was just a voice residing inside her head, a voice she never knew had a face, a face dangerously similar to her own.

"Ninna nanna, ninna oh

To whom shall I give this baby?

If I give it to the old hag,

She'll keep it for a week.

If I give it to bogeyman,

He'll keep it for an entire year.

If I give it to the while wolf,

He'll keep it for a long time.

Lullaby sleep fairies

Send my baby to sleep."

Darkness sang softly in Taylor's ear, Taylor recognised the lullaby Darkness was singing.
It was a lullaby that her Aunt Aurora used to sing when she couldn't fall asleep without her mother.

The lullaby used to scare Taylor to death, Aunt Aurora scared her to death.
Aunt Aurora wasn't what you would call 'normal', she used to talk to herself, she used to sing and dance around in a pair of white frock that was given to her by her late husband and blush and laugh in between dancing, as if dancing with someone else and on top of that Taylor often heard her talk to a tree that was planted just outside her house, Taylor's grandma told her that Aunt Aurora was special, that she could still see her dead husband but Taylor's mother said the opposite of what her grandma told her.

According to her mother Aunt Aurora needed help because she wasn't normal.

Taylor's always been scared of Aunt Aurora and her lullabies. She never really understood why her Grandma trusted Aurora with Taylor, if what her mother said was right then her grandma was careless to let Aunt Aurora baby sit her but her mother didn't know that, no, her mother thought Taylor was sleeping next to her sweet grandma who probably gave her too many candies but in reality, Taylor used to sleep next to Aunt Aurora, the aunt who scared her with her lullabies while her grandma used to wander off to god knows where.

A specific Thursday evening has always been etched in Taylor's mind, Taylor remembered when she was just five, her parents had gone out for a romantic date night and had left Taylor in the hands of her grandma.

"Why can't I sleep next to you grandma ?" Five year old Taylor asked, her innocent eyes blinking up at her grandma.

"Because grandma has to go out for a few hours, sweetie but Aunt Aurora is going to be there, she'll take good care of you." Her grandma said as she pulled her bag over her shoulder.