"I'm going to get some rest so I can wake up in a few hours to make some tea for Crystal... In that time, I hope you can choose the proper path." Uncle walked away from me, and as he went I felt his words linger in my ears.

...choose the proper path...

My hand went up to the left side of my face, and I brushed my hand against my scar in deep contemplation. As I did so, I thought about something my mother told me a long time ago.

"Honor is more than what your father say's it is, Zuko... Even the greatest rulers of nations can be the most dishonorable characters. Your honor comes from here." My mother grabbed my eight-year-old hand and placed it against my chest. "Your honor comes from your heart... Don't ever let your father make you believe otherwise. Stay true to who you are, my young prince..."

My heart thudded in pain, and I looked back down at Crystal. Her necklace shined from the firelight as it rested on her collarbone. I carefully reached forward and picked up the crystal gem enough to inspect it. I smiled, glad to see she had kept it with her all this time. She'd held on to me, even though she had returned to her family.

Are you going to try to pursue the Avatar again, knowing if you do so you will lose Crystal in the process?

Uncle's words still rang inside me. As they did, I pictured myself choosing to go after the Avatar. I pictured the heartbreak and betrayel in Crystal's eyes. I pictured her never wanting to see me again...

I realized then what I should've told myself a long time ago...

I couldn't imagine living without Crystal... I couldn't bear the thought of her hating me... I didn't want to earn favor from father and lose the one person who loved me in the process. I could recall the conversation I had with Crystal so long ago, right before we shared our first kiss.

"What do youknow about love?"

Her deep blue eyes looked towards me with pity. "I know it's notsomething you'll find at home."

"Then where will I find it?! Surely not in the earth kingdom of all places! I haven't known love since my mother went missing! How could you possibly think I could find this love anywhere else besides home?!"

Tears started to fall from her eyes. They weren't tears because she was afraid. They were tears because she felt sorry for my pain. She cried out, "You already have it! If you would just open your eyes for one damn second you would see it right in front of you!"

"What are you talking about?!"

She stared deep into my eyes as she shouted back, "Me, you idiot! I love you!"

Love... My heart was warm at the thought of having someone who actually loved me for me. She didn't see me as a monster, or the son of a monster. She saw me as just Zuko, and I loved her for that...

The proper path... I knew the proper path... I just had to be brave enough to take it...

(Crystal POV)

A soft hand brushed through my hair repetitively, bringing me slowly back to my senses. My body felt heavy from exhaustion, and my head pounded in pain. The night before was a blur, but I could vaguely recall bits and pieces slowly.

I'd been searching for Appa... A shopkeeper... He told me he had seen Appa... He had seen Appa forced underground...

There was a fight too... A fight between Jet and Zuko... I had jumped in...

The Dai Lee... They showed up too... They arrested Jet, and... and they had Appa!

My eyes opened wide and I gasped as light flooded into my vision blinding me. A sharp pain shot to the back of my skull where I'd hit the ground after Jet's attack, and I quickly shut my eyes again to stop the stabbing sensation. The hand brushing through my hair stopped, but I could still feel the soft touch on my skull.