I hugged my mom with uncertainty. "What if the path I choose isn't at the South Pole?"

Her hand went under my chin, and she forced me to meet her gaze. "Then you still go for it, because nothing should keep you from your destiny."

I placed my head against her chest feeling at peace. "What's your destiny, mommy?"

She hugged me again, answering, "My destiny is right here, being the chief's wife and a mother to three of the most beautiful children in the world."

A smile spread as I filled with joy from my mother's love. "I hope one day I can find someone like you did, mommy. Everyone in the village says you and dad were meant to be."

"You will sweetie... Whoever he is, I know he'll love you as much as your father and I do. I'm sure we'll love him too."

"As long as he isn't Fire Nation," a voice spoke behind us. Mom and I jumped a bit startled, and turned our heads to see father. He had just left a few minutes before to go hunting, and he looked like he'd returned because he'd forgotten something.

My mother stood and greeted dad with a kiss. Then she asked, "I thought you and the other men were headed out on a hunt?"

My father smiled. "We were. I just forgot my spear in the rush." He stepped over to me then and knelt so he could become eye level with me. "Your mother's right, Crys... There's a wonderful young man out there ready to sweep you off your feet. In time, you'll meet him and I know you'll be pleased."

My mother stepped forward, and I was surprised to see the smile on her face had disappeared. "Hakoda... Please tell me you're not still hung up on this plan of yours."

He looked back at my mother. "Kya... You know it's for the best. The tribe loves the idea."

Confusion swept over me. What were they talking about?

My mother's eyes narrowed, and her hands went to her hips. That was never a good sign. "You mean you and the council. Did you ever think maybe your own wife doesn't agree? And what about my mother's feelings? She came to the South Pole for the very thing you're trying to do to our daughter!"

Father looked back at me, and then stood turning fully to mom. "Kya... We discussed this. He's the only one-"

"No one said he has to be Water Tribe, Hakoda. What if it's someone from the Earth Kingdom?"

"It won't be," my father said. His tone turned a little sharp. I began to think I wasn't supposed to be listening to the conversation. "She's never going to step foot off the South Pole."

"You can't predict that. She may one day decide to travel and see the world."

"She won't... She'll understand her responsibility to the Tribe and her family."

My mother was beginning to lose her patience and temper. I still had no clue what was going on. I watched my parents argue in great confusion. I knew the conversation was about me, but I didn't know what it had to do with.

"So Crystal's going to be trapped here while we allow Katara up north. That doesn't seem quite fair to her."

My father pinched the bridge of his nose trying to cool his anger. "We'll discuss this later. I have to get back to the hunt." He went to step around mom to head over to his spear leaning against the wall to our home.

Mom wasn't done. "I'm going to go speak to Kieda about this! You and Bato may have agreed, but I'm certain she will have an opinion of her own as well."