Forbidden Romance

Start from the beginning

I felt my heart sink. "What are you saying...? I should just let her go...?

He shook his head, and placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "No. I'm saying you need to choose what you truly want. If you continue to pursue the Avatar, you know Crystal will fight against you."

I hung my head. "If I choose to join the other side of the war though, I will truly betray the Fire Nation."

"But you could be a hero," Iroh spoke softly. "Joining the Avatar and his friends will give you more honor than you realize."

Shaking my head, I jerked from my Uncle. I couldn't betray my father. I couldn't join the one kid I'd been trying to capture for months. My heart thudded in my chest though as I contemplated what Iroh was suggesting. The gem in my hand was warm as I pictured Crystal.

"The nations that still stand against your father will find the strength to defeat him. With the Avatar on their side, Fire Lord Ozai has no hope in slaughtering the enemy. Why do you think there was an order to destroy all of the airbenders a hundred years ago? It's because your great-grandfather Sozin knew the Avatar would be his end. The young airbender Crystal's family is journeying with is the key to ending this one-hundred-year war. I believe if you continue to fight for your father you will be on the losing side, Prince Zuko. You will not just lose your honor, birthright, and throne... You will lose the girl you love as well."

My eyes widened at what Iroh spoke. He believed the Fire Nation would lose?

I shook my head. "The way you speak is treason!"

He shook his head. "I'm just a man with many regrets. I desire to teach you the truth before you lose the one you love. I believed the war was something of honor, and I encouraged Lu Ten to join the battle. My son didn't have to go to war, but he did so in order to make myself and Sozin proud. If I hadn't been so confident the Fire Nation could win and achieve world domination, I wouldn't have sent my son out into battle. However, I believed we would finally take down Ba Sing Se and win the war. In the end I lost my honor, my pride, and my only son... I speak no treason, Prince Zuko... I speak as a father who doesn't want to see another son hurt by the Fire Nation's greed."

My mouth hung open as I couldn't find the words to say.

"There are other ways to earn honor, my nephew. One way is doing the right thing."

Shutting my eyes, I felt my orbs burn as tears threatened to spill. What was wrong with me? All my life I'd wanted nothing more than to earn my father's love and honor. However, that all changed when I met Crystal. As I started to see how amazing and special she was inside and out, I stopped caring about my father's approval and desired for her approval. I hadn't even thought about home much since we'd run from Azula. All I could think about, was how Crystal made me feel something I hadn't felt since my mom died: Love.

Crystal loved me... She cared about me... She didn't see me for my scar, my past, or title. She saw me for myself. I was just Zuko to her, and I loved her for that.

"I'm going to get her back..." I softly stated. "I saw footprints. I know which direction their headed."

Iroh let out a heavy sigh and nodded. "Very well... You should go without me. I'll just slow you down. Take Zan too. I'll start journeying east from here and head towards Ba Sing Se. We'll meet up at the city if we don't cross paths before then."

Nodding, I walked over to the bag by my mat. Digging in, I pulled out my blue spirit mask and stared down at the monstrous disguise. My eyes narrowed as I gazed into the eyes of my mask. "I'm coming, Crystal... Just hang on."

Crystal POV

"This is the meeting spot," Jaka said, dropping his bag beside a stone jutting out of the earth. The sun had risen an hour before, and my body was sore from being carried like a sack. Jaka and Kona had taken turns, deciding it was best not to trust that I wouldn't run if they made me walk. From the sunlight, I could finally see my cousin. He had also taken off his dark blue head covering which allowed me to see him in full.