Song of the South

Start from the beginning

Zuko groaned and slapped his forehead with his palm. I smiled at the familiar gesture. Sokka would do that often when Katara used to get in trouble back at home. I lifted up the tip of his hat to get a better view of his face. He looked down at me with question.

"You and my brother might actually get along."

He was surprised and looked at me puzzled.

"You two are very similar."

He grimaced. "I doubt that."

I smiled. "One day you may find I'm right."

Footsteps suddenly approached, and a scraggly looking man with some broadswords stepped towards us. He looked at the three of us with a smirk. His eyes landed on me the longest, and I shrunk a bit against Zuko. He was a very tall and lean man, with the kind of beard and side-burns that reminded me of Zhao. He looked as shady as him too.

"How about some entertainment in exchange for..." He held up a gold piece suddenly in his hand, and Iroh perked up eager for the coin. "A gold piece."

Zuko scowled, pulling from me and crossing his arms in irritation. "We're not performers."

Iroh quickly shot his nephew down. "Not professional, anyway." He stood up and prepared to sing:

"It's a long, long way to Ba-Sing-Se,

but the girls in the city they look soo prett-ay!"

The man cut Iroh off looking displeased. "Come on! We're talking a gold piece here! Let's see some action!"

A gasp escaped me when I saw the man yank out his two broadswords. Zuko growled beside me. As Iroh started to sing again, the man hit the sharp tip of his broadsword in a rhythm towards Iroh's feet forcing the old man to dance.

"And they kiss so sweet that you've really got to meet the girls from Ba-Sing-Se!"

"More!" The sadistic man ordered. "That was too short!"

I scowled. Tearing my hat off and standing up, I snapped, "Forget it! You can't keep on bullying him like this! Keep your damn gold piece!"

The man was surprised by my words, but then to my shock he looked amused. "I like your spunk beautiful. How's about you sing for me and..." he pulled two more gold pieces from his pocket. "These other babies are yours."

Crossing my arms, I went to argue but stopped. I knew we could really use the money... Zan needed some feed, and we needed food. With a heavy sigh, I dropped my arms to the side. Zuko stood and went to argue, but I placed a hand on his shoulder letting him know it was okay.

"Fine... Just keep your end of the deal." He grinned and nodded in agreement. With defeat, I sang the sea shanty my father taught me a long time ago:

"The ships sailed away on a cold cold day

Headed to a land that is very far away.

If they ever do return then a blessing that will be

Because, for years they have been afar at sea.

But where have they gone, asked the small warrior boy

And his father answered, son they have gone to find us joy.

The land which they have gone is free of war and pain

And once it is found it will be for all our gain."

When I finished, I wasn't surprised to find I'd gathered a crowd of pedestrians. Children giggled at my shanty, others applauded, and more people tossed coins into the hat on the ground. The man with the broadswords smirked and nodded in approval. He tossed the money down in front of Iroh, and said to me, "Now that was entertainment."