Chapter 6

"So when should we leave?" asks Claire. Why is she the one asking to leave, when I'm the one who hates the Flyers?

            Nolan thinks for a few moments. "Any time is fine after I get my car fixed." Oh right, that's the reason we're even here.

            "What are we doing for breakfast?" I say. "Also, how are you even going to get your car fixed when you can't drive it?"

             Claire looks pissed that I asked what's for breakfast. But it's a serious question, she knows how hangry I get. I guess she forgot about that time when I slapped her in the face when she told me the Penguins suck early in the morning. I'm usually not that violent, unless someone is trying to fight me or something. If someone wants to fight, I'll take a fight. Claire taught me how to hockey fight, and it's really come in handy when we go to bars and parties. I also usually don't get so defensive when the Pens get insulted. Bandwagon is a common one. There was this one kid in my elementary who was a Rangers fan that hated on the Pens and called me a bandwagon every single day, but I stayed pretty calm for the most part. That's a long story I'll get into later.

            "Oh my god, Loren, you don't just ask someone what's for breakfast." scolds Claire. I glare at her.

            "It's okay. I'm mad hungry too, but I don't have any food in the house." Nolan says. 

            I think of all the options. "Well, there's no Timmies around here, which is sad, because that's where I went every day back in Canada."

              Nolan's face lights up when I mentioned Tim Hortons. A remnant of his Canadian heritage, I guess. "Yes! Timmies is literally the best. People said it was on the decline, and I honestly think it was because their food and coffee started being not as good, but it's still WAY better than Dunkin Donuts. Starbucks is actually pretty good, but not as good as Tim Hortons."

            "How about we just walk to the Starbucks that's down the road?" Claire suggests. 

            I give her a quizzical look. "How did you even know there was a Starbucks?"

            "I saw it while we were driving here." she says matter-of-factly.

            Nolan shakes his head while smiling. "White girls and Starbucks, eh? But okay, let's go."     

           I grab my jeans I wore yesterday, and put them on with the shirt Nolan gave me yesterday. I'm lazy, I didn't feel like changing completely. By the time I get out of the bathroom, both Claire and Nolan have already changed. We walk out the door to his apartment and into the Starbucks.

            "Hi, welcome to Starbucks. What could I get for you today?" the lady at the register asks while eyeing Nolan.

            Nolan orders. "I'll have a medium coffee." I start laughing and Claire looks like she wants to die. 

            "What type of coffee, and the sizes are only tall, grande, and venti!" whispers Claire as I'm dying with laughter. She got so triggered over an incorrect Starbucks order.

         "Grande is pretty much a medium." I advise.       

            Nolan decides what his order will be again. "Sorry about that, I'll have a grande Pike Place coffee." The lady types in his order while winking. That's just nasty, honestly, what kind of Starbucks worker are you?

            "I'll have a grande Peppermint Mocha Frappucino and a blueberry scone, please." I ask. The lady puts in my order.

           "And I'll have a venti Very Berry Hibiscus Refresher, please." finishes Claire. I pay for the orders with no questions asked, since I'm the only one who hasn't done a favour yet. We find a table and sit down with Nolan. Claire sits next to me, and Nolan sits down across from me. 

           "Why are you guys' orders so confusing, and I'm over here like, 'I want a medium coffee'?" asks Nolan.

            I laugh as I remember something. "The first time my parents visited, it was a complete disaster. They kept trying to find a Timmies, and once they realized there's no Timmies in Philly, they resorted to Starbucks, just as I did. My dad did the same thing that you did, and my mom's French accent is so thick, they couldn't understand what she was saying and gave her the wrong order."

            "That's still not as bad as the lady winking at me." retorts Nolan as Claire went up to get our drinks and my scone.

            "Does that happen to you a lot?" I ask. "Since, y'know, you're a professional athlete and everything?"

            Nolan's trying to think back and remember. "No, not really, since only Flyers fans and extreme hockey fans know who I am. Except one time I was at a restaurant with the team."

            Claire brings back our food, and I grab my frappucino and scone so fast it's probably not healthy. Oh well, I'm hungry and I need food. I finish my frappucino in no more than 5 minutes, and my scone in less than three. 

            "I've never seen a girl eat like that." comments Nolan.

            I've gotten this comment a lot. "If you haven't seen a girl eat as fast as that, you've never seen a girl who's actually hungry, or you just haven't met many girls that aren't afraid of you judging them." I state. Claire nods in agreement.

            I wait for Nolan and Claire to finish up their drinks, and then we leave the Starbucks. Nolan says he called the car repair place to come and fix up his car last night, so he says he's going to get a rental after his car gets towed. We drive him back to his apartment.

            "Can I like, have your guys' numbers, just as a memoir of this experience?" asks Nolan. "Just don't share my number, since I don't want it to get leaked."

             We hand him our phones, and he hands Claire his phone first. She types in a contact name as he hands her her phone back. She passes his phone to me. I type in my number, and I type in a contact name. I use a penguin emoji and "Le Meilleur Fan de Penguins", which means "The Best Penguins Fan" as my contact name. I pass him his phone back, and he changes something on my phone as he sees my contact name. He passes me my phone back, and now his contact name is "Le Meilleur Flyer." The Best Flyer. Wowwww. Nolan smiles at me and I shake my head. 

            "It was great to meet you!" says Claire as a farewell.

            "Yeah, it was kind of nice to talk to a fellow Canadian." I admit. 

            Nolan smiles, again, and says, "It was nice to meet some decent hockey fans." as he drives away.

A/N : I feel guilty for not following the one chapter a day schedule but I had so much homework and I started watching the Pens vs Caps series! Also some pretty big news, one of my best friends got a call from a college hockey scout, so that's like amazing! My family and her family were all like super shook and now her name in my contacts is "elite hockey prospect" 😂Anyways this was a really long chapter.... but hey I'm almost at 100 reads yeet