~1~

(A/N: This is my first ever story on here so please correct my grammar!!)
"I wanna be Ten Feet Tall"
~
Ever since Lance was born he had always been the baby of the family, everyone treated him with tender love and care, up until his father started spiraling.

Lance had always known his dad was mentally unstable, the man never liked to talk about any problems, doesn't matter if it was his own or anyone else's. He didn't believe in looking weak, so when his son came home after getting beat up at school, and having lost the fight, he lost his cool, he took Lance into his office and scolded the boy for not standing up for himself and for not winning the fight. Not once did the 42 year old man think of comforting his hurt child.

That was the first red flag.

After that he started challenging Lance to fights so he would "toughen up", Lance would always decline saying that it was "too dangerous" or "dumb". But despite being told multiple times that Lance didn't want to, the grown man would still pull Lance into an open space and square up. Lance, being a twig with no muscle, would always exit the arena with a bloody nose and multiple bruises.

Second red flag.

The last straw that really broke Lance was when his dad took it too far while wrestling.

"Dad, please stop, my arm is hurting", blue eyes filling with tears as he tried to get his father off his back.

His father had been too stubborn to get off, resulting in dislocating his son's shoulder. On the way to the hospital he kept on repeating all the ways Lance fucked up the fight and how he wished he could of gotten a "manly" son instead of some "baby". Lance listened to the whole thing, agreeing with everything his old man said.

Third red flag.

And that is where we are now, Lance held his left arm as he walked into the hospital, a blank look on his face as he explained his situation to the nurse behind the large desk. She typed in the information and told Lance and his father to sit in the waiting room as she gets a doctor to take a look at him.

"I'm going to get you a gym membership. I will not tolerate this weak behavior from you anymore." His father stated as he messaged Lance's mom, explaining with little detail on what happened.

You see, Lance's mom is never home so when his dad would wrestle him she never saw. So he never told her.

"Lance McClain?" Lance looks up to see a small doctor smiling softly at him, walking forward to the boy, "Let me see."

Lance stood up and she grabbed his arm, Lance flinched for a second before realizing that it made him look weak, so he held back his whimper.

(A/n: I've never dislocated a body part before so please correct me if anything is wrong)"Doesn't look too bad, I think I can just pop it back in no problem!" Lance looked away as she applied pressure and with a quick shot of pain, Lance's shoulder was moveable, "now, I want you to apply ice as soon as you get home and rest on it tonight, but tomorrow morning do some arm stretching exercises to strengthen the muscle. Make sure not to do that again! Because next time it might not be just as easy as just popping it back into place."

Lance nodded, thanked the doctor, and headed to the car while his dad finished up the insurance information.

Once the blue eyed boy sat on his passenger seat, he started to think.

'Am I really that pathetic? My dad is right, I'm just a baby. I'm weak and idiotic.'

As the Cuban boy thought of all the different ways he's weak, he didn't realize the streaks of salty water escaping his ocean eyes. Angrily whipping his cheeks with his good arm, he took out his phone, sending a quick message to his friend Shiro.

"How do I get tough?" He read his message out loud, hovering his finger over the 'send' button before pressing down, almost receiving a reply straight away. Shiro must be out of football practice, Lance thought to himself before reading the single-worded message.

"Why?"

"What do you mean why?! It's a simple question just answer!" Lance grumbled to himself before wiping his face with one hand, picking his phone back up and replying.

"I just want to be manly..."

Lance saw the three dots before they disappeared, then re appeared, then disappeared.

Lance groaned before turning off his phone and setting it down.

~

"Lance is being weird." Shiro looked at Keith, worry and confusion written on his face, "He wants to be "manly", what do you think that's all about?"

Keith sighed before setting down his book (Looking For Alaska) and blankly stared at his roommate, "How should I know? He's your friend."

Shiro rolled his eyes before typing out a response and grabbing his keys, "Want anything from Chipotle?"

Keith seemed to get intrigued in the conversation now, "A burrito please, just cheese, beans, chicken and rice please!"

Shiro looked at the younger male with the most unsurprised expression before sighing, "You're extremely basic, Keith, but I'll get you your burrito."

Keith grinned before thanking his roommate and getting back to his book.

————-
A/N: I know nobody ever reads authors notes unless it has siren emojis with them but hello I'm Haley and welcome to my book! This book is important to me so I hope y'all enjoy it as much as I do! Please check out Cavetown and become just as much of a fan as I am!❤️