Chapter Five

I woke up to chaos. Men were running around, grabbing their swords and weapons, yelling at each other to hurry. 

All of a sudden someone grabbed my arm and jerked me off of my cot. It was Michael. 

"Follow me!" He said and weaved his way through the crowd. 

With no clue on what was going on, following Michael seemed to be my best choice. 

"What is going on?" I asked. 

"Were being attacked!" 

"Aren't we the ones that should be doing the attacking??" I franticly asked, my stomach turning upside down. 

"That's usually the way it goes!" Michael said as we continued to run down a tight hallway. 

Michael brought me to a back room, "Here!" He said as he plopped a sword in my hands. 

I nearly dropped it from the weight. The whole room had random weapons scattered about, some daggers, swords, and even some pistols. I looked at the sword and back up at Michael, "What do you expect me to do?" 

"Fight! But try not to die," He smiled and ran out of the room. 

I immediately dropped the sword to the ground and grabbed a pistol... I was sure a pistol would do me more good than a sword. I had no clue how to successfully manoeuvre a sword, let alone cause some damage with it. I didn't even want to cause any damage though... I had just ended up on a pirate ship as a mistake, my intention was never to hurt anyone. 

I suddenly found myself in a mental battle... do I go up there and defend the crew or stay down here and hide until it was finished. 

"Damn it," I muttered as I stocked out of the room. I knew I couldn't bear to do the latter option. That was too cowardly. I would just help protect - I would not kill. 

I made my way up to the deck and was bombarded by threatening voices and sounds of clashing and gun shots. There was no way I was going to make it out alive! I crouched up the stairs to the deck a bit more to try to get a look at the situation. I saw the rival ship right beside ours as their crew were still making their way over to us. There were already a dozen rivals on our ship fighting my crew viscously. 

Crash.

My head whipped around to the sound of glass breaking. 

"I see the map!" A rough looking pirate said. He was tall and skinny, way too skinny. I could probably lift him up with ease if I had to. 

The map... I recalled the captains map from the night I snuck into his quarters. Why would they want that? The captain had us heading towards the second clue to Atlantis but not quite. What if he was trying to find Atlantis but just on a different step than I was? Maybe he was further... or maybe even behind. I could be totally wrong, but I couldn't risk it. 

I looked at the foreign weapon in my hands. It was a simple pistol, so I'm sure it wasn't that hard to use. Hopefully. I pulled back the small metal lever piece near the top of the gun and heard a click. I pointed at the skinny pirate's foot.

"I'm sorry, but I can't let you have that," I whispered and pulled the trigger. 

The man screamed wildly. As he was panicking, I ran up to him, turned the gun around and clocked him in the head with the blunt side. The man dropped to the ground. As he dropped, the area of my vision where his head blocked became clear and I immediately made eye contact with Captain Lars. It seemed as though he were looking at me before I clocked the guy... I had a feeling he watched the whole thing. He was at the opposite end of the ship, surrounded by vicious action, but was still making sure no one was getting his map. Our brief glance at each other conveyed many emotions... surprise, relief, and uncertainty. I looked back at the map, then back up to his dark eyes. This was taking too much of my time... I forgot about Captain Lars. He's just going to have to trust me with his precious map.