𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟐

A whole month passed before Will was able to go outside.

By then, his physical wounds had healed, but as for the ones that went deeper than the surface... Will quietly wondered to himself how long it would take for them to heal-- if they could heal at all.

Shaking off the thoughts, the son of Apollo stepped out of the doorway of the infirmary, savoring the feel of the sunshine on his face, which he hadn't been able to do for so long. He remembered how he used to spend every minute he could outdoors. Austin and Kayla stood behind him, silently encouraging him forward.

Already, people were noticing Will. Eyes ogled from afar, and mouths whispered rumors behind cupped hands.

"He was the one that was taken..."

"Was kidnapped by a demon king, apparently...Wanted him to swear fealty..."

"He looks so different. So thin and pale..."

A few campers would even start towards Will, no doubt to ask if the rumors were true, but one look from Austin and Kayla had them scuttling away.

Will, trying his best to ignore it, forged ahead, not meeting anyone's gaze. Though he felt like he was running the gauntlet, he kept his chin high.

Then he saw something-- and stopped dead.

Red hair shimmered in the crowd, stark against the other colors around it.

Red hair. Like-- like--

A demonic, silver-eyed face flashed before his eyes. His body went rigid. His lungs seized up. His heart stopped.

"Will?" Kayla studied him, eyes full of concern.

He couldn't speak. He couldn't breathe. Terror clenched him like a fist, overwhelming and screaming and numbing.

"Will?" It was Austin this time, gently tapping his shoulder-- but Will tore his hand away, whipped around, and ran.

He was only conscious of his racing heart and ragged breathing as he shoved his way through the crowd, his surroundings a mere blur.

Get away get away get away--

Will sprinted into his cabin, down the hall. He flung himself through the doorway of his room.

He managed to shut the door behind him before the sobs hit.

Will was unable to leave his room the next day.

And the next one. And the next.