𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟖

Will kept his eyes shut, but the light was still blinding. He had a vague sense of hurtling through a portal, going so fast he could hardly breathe.

Despite his fear, he managed to keep his thoughts clear. He thought of Camp Half-Blood, of Cabin Seven. He thought of his siblings.

Will didn't know how long he was in this state, whether it was for seconds or minutes or hours. Before he knew it, he manifested.

Will stumbled, then fell to his knees. His wounds screamed in protest to his moving. He took deep breaths, trying to think past the pain, to take in his surroundings. Clean linen and dried sage kissed his senses, and he sobbed in relief.

He had made it.

He had escaped. He was free.

He looked around, instantly recognizing the white tile walls. The infirmary.

And... and standing before him was...

His heart stopped dead in his chest.
Kayla Knowles.

His sister gaped at him, blue eyes wide in disbelief. Then her clipboard hit the floor. She rushed to him.

"Will!" she cried. Her red-green hair was stark against her white nurse's uniform. "Will, are you okay?"

He stared at her for a long moment, barely able to think.

Then his adrenaline faded. Exhaustion crashed over him. His blue eyes rolled to the back of his head, and he pitched forward into the sweet embrace of darkness.