Reunion

Finding food the next day took most of the morning. Sethral returned to the bush-camp to find Ryatzi limping from their bush-cave, yawning.

She dropped down with a grin. "Why hello, sleepyhead. Feeling better?"

"It's debatable." He stretched with a wince, then flopped down. "I'm starving."

"'Fraid to say there's not much left to catch out there. Lots of Drakons though."

"I'm not actually sure I could take on a Drakon right now."

"I can give you a hand."

"You would?"

"Sure." She gave an evil grin. "The sooner you eat, the sooner I can make you walk on your own. Come on."

He gave her a plaintive look and didn't move.

Sethral rolled her eyes. "Okay, fine then, be like that. You're only getting away with this because of the Whitewing."

"And for saving your butt from the Hyenars?"

"Nope, that's for helping you catch a Drakon, not making you run all the way back the river fork, lending you my blanket last night and telling you about this place on the way if you want to hear it. And out of the kindness of your heart, because I fly you all over the place already, so it's only fair we switched for a change. C'mon."

She plucked him off the ground, flew a short ways and tossed him in the air, diving under him. He was much lighter than he should have been. When he was safely installed on her back, Sethral retrieved her thistlecloth and set out over the woods.

Shielding his eyes, Furo watched them go. "Nice kids," he muttered. He stepped from the bottom rung of his ladder and trundled off along the base of the outer walls. There was surprisingly little damage. Hyenars had passed this place like a river parting around a rock, like they would rather trip on each other than climb these walls.

Had a funny energy, this place did.

"Okay, now you walk. My wings hurt."

Dropping to the ground a stone's throw from the river fork, Sethral dumped Ryatzi into the leaves. He straightened up gingerly and hurried after her.

A head popped over a log ahead and split into a grin. "Eyyy, it's Moldywings and Spitfire!" whooped Loki. "Hey guys, the others are here!"

This last part was called over his shoulder. Whipper and Silversand appeared with cries of relief.

"Good to see you too, Loki," said Ryatzi with a weak smile. Sethral just scowled.

Soon all five were swapping stories, interrupting each other, trading conversation partners, and remarking on each other's injuries—or lack thereof.

"Hey Silver, you've got a raw spot there. Were you using your gauntlet again?"

"Loki, how the heck are you so sprightly today? Did they not get you at all?"