14 - The Accident

Start from the beginning

"Good fight, good talk," I then conclude and his smile tells me, that he must feel equal.

The other beasts that were standing around us and cheering and clapping now leave the scene; happy chatting and already retelling what just happened. I'm not exactly sure if that's a good sign or not.

In the headquarters, people would be shocked and I know for sure what it would get me: First, a visit at Tristan's office. Then a punishment for violation of a provision and not being obedient to a higher member of the society; but then again, there is nobody who ever really tried to fight me next to my guards or Tristan himself – maybe Eve.

Lyall looks into their direction and grins. "They seem to like you. They favor people who are not minding to get dirty," He still keeps on laughing, when he sees that I keep a straight face.

"I think this new role of mine is fully different than most people in the city think," I look back at Lyall while straightening out once more. "I wonder..." I stop for a moment thinking but shaking my head slightly and start to smile.

"Did you ever consider fighting Warlow?" I say jokingly, thinking of the murdered vampire. Warlow was good at talking and letting people do what he wants them to do, but his appearance was the typical diplomat of the 18th century. Even though his style changed over the years his fighting skills lacked due to all decades he has been alive or dead.

Lyall laughs again. "No, I knew from the beginning that I could squeeze him to dust in my wrist if I wanted to," he shrugs. "It kind of appeased me that they didn't waste time to send a warrior like Tristan over to us. Warlow had a good sense of humor and he was a good conversational partner, but he lacked your qualities," he compliments and smiles.

"Which count more here..." he adds and the statement fades out for me to digest. I raise an eyebrow but stay silent. Who would have bet on that?

"Well, then I'm happy that I was not able to appease you with my visit," my smile becomes colder.

"It seems this time, you were the one, who needed to be appeased?" Lyall smiles and then is silent for a moment before talking more seriously again.

"It still bothers me, that I have no idea who could have killed him. I guess you already asked his female friend?"

I look a bit puzzled at him. "The female companion? She's dead too. Didn't I tell you in the beginning?" I say while tilting my head.

"You told about a human lady, yes; but what is with the vampire he met recently? He told me of her on his last visit. He seemed to be very fond of her and hoping that it's going to be a deeper relationship, I think. At least he couldn't stop talking about her." He chuckles. "Like a foolish teenager..."

"Interesting," I point out. I never heard about another lady. "Did he mention her appearance?" I ask while taking a stand as if I stand next to Tristan as his guard. I'm still so used to that, that I only realize it when Lyall looks at me for a few moments too long.

He frowns. "Just that she was very pretty. Oh, and she had brown locks. I certainly remember her name, because he said it all the time. It was Charlotte."

I nod slowly. Charlotte. None of the ladies in the headquarters fit that description and also my little spies amongst the people in the mansion never mentioned that. I smile; I had a nice fight and now also a new lead. What else could I have wished for from this meeting?

"Thank you, Lyall." I look up to the leader of the beasts while moving towards the entrance of the hidden camp.

Lyall shrugs. "Always glad to help," he follows me while I try to think of someone who maybe could fit that profile in any way.