Chapter 34 ~ Kambili

People have the annoying habit of worming themselves into my heart. They lay claims to my emotions, demanding sympathy and love. They expect everything from me—answers, support, affection—but give nothing back.

Kambili, Kambili. Everyone calls my name when there is a problem. Enyi had returned with the Filia Principia in his arms, and and Jioke's eyes immediately turned to me, a question within them.

Celeste could destroy us. That was my first thought when I saw her bright eyes and silver hair. I would have killed her. I wasn't lying. If my gun had been closer, it would've been a reflex—a maternal response—against the menace to my group.

Instead, I fed her. I sent to give her a change of clothes, so that I could burn and bury her old ones. A different Kambili would've held the gown against her body and imagined that it was her at the ball, but that Kambili had two living parents and three siblings.

I played a dangerous game. Enyi, Anuli, Jioke, and Celeste had thought we would all meet up at ani Igbo, but that had never been my plan. It was too risky to expose Celeste to our land. Once I saw her, I knew I had to return her before Maximilian Navarie tracked us down. I needed time, though, to gain her trust, become her confidant, and entice her to the adventure.

Adventure was the key word. Enyi had told me about Celeste and her naive ideals. Once I kept her interested, I had her silence. Finding the journal only cemented the plan.

If only she hadn't taken a part of my heart as well, but that was what people did to me. All of them chiseled a fragment of my heart and grabbed hold.

Kambili, Kambili, Celeste had cried out. She had woken up and realized that I was gone. I saw her worry and fear. I wanted to reach out to her. I forced myself to stay hidden, but I couldn't stop the memories from flooding into my mind.

Kambili, Kambili. It wasn't Celeste's voice, but Obiageli and Nnenna's, my two younger sisters. They were calling for me from inside the house. Kambili, Kambili. Their screams were anxious, but I chose to stay silent and safe inside the cabinet while I held my sleeping infant brother. Kambili, Kambili. I heard their voices in my head, even after they no longer yelled or said another word. I kissed Chika's cheek and accepted the young guardsman's hand as he helped me disappear into the night.

I never expected to see him again, so I renamed him Friend because he was my one savior. Stretching a hand out, he saved Chika and me.

When we saw each other again, I called him Enyi. Friend. Ndi Igbo were blessed with names based on their situation of birth. The massacre of the Okonkwo family by Maximilian Navarie was a rebirth for Nathaniel Quill and me.

When I saw a girl dressed in the Verium military colors, I left. 

My journey with Celeste was over. I was done.

Until we meet again.