The Butterfly

Virginia sat alone in a patch of sunlight. Her wings glittered but her inner luminescence was dampened.

A branch snapped somewhere nearby. Like a deer hearing the hunter, her head shot up. 

Wearily, she peered into the dark woods around her.

"Come into the light," she called.

Q emerged tentatively, casting his gaze downward.

"Have I disturbed you?" he asked.

"Oh Q," she said, running to him.

They embraced. He held her as she cried.

"He's gone."

"Are you sure?"

"My magic told me."

"Do you need anything?"

She pulled away and looked deeply into his eyes. Here he was: her confidant, her best friend, the one she ran to with her problems as well as her excitement.

His kindness was overwhelming. He understood her in a way Ten never had (or could have).

Warmth ran through her entire body as radiance filled her once again.

"Why didn't I see it before?" she asked him.

Q shook his head; he didn't know.

"Have you loved me always?" she prompted.

Q flushed and nodded. He had only ever wished her happiness with or without him.

She pulled him into her arms and placed her lips on his. His skin tingled all over, like he'd been hit with a happiness snowball. It was all overwhelmingly incredible.

When they parted Virginia's heart began to glow brighter than the rest of her. She smiled up at him and used a nail to reach through the skin and into her chest.

Out from the anterior artery of her heart, she removed a glowing key. Looking up at Q again, she winked. He flushed as a large smile crossed his face. He moved in to kiss her once again.

"Nay," she stated, placing a finger on his lips. "You must understand, this is not a prize, this is not something you have won. I am sharing this with you because I want to. Because I am ready to express in such a way. You have created space for me to be free. If that ever changes I will leave. Do you understand?"

Q nodded earnestly.

"Do you know that I am true?" he asked.

"Yes," she answered.

They kissed once again. Her heart sang. 

Virginia felt solid in the knowledge that this warm wonderful feeling did not come from him. She was full, with or without him. Today she chose with.

***

Jessica sat on her bed, alone, hugging her knees.

Black and White entered wearing their cloaks and masks. These masks were new in that they covered the side of their faces opposite to the ones they originally wore.

Jessica let her knees go and perked up as they approached.

One at a time, they gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"You were very brave," Black said, as if a mother to a young child.

"Ten is gone," White whispered.

"I-" Jessica began, "I killed him."

"Nay child-," Black said.

"-you were an instrument-"