The King

They wandered down the continually-created path until up ahead they could see an impressive rectangular stone table. It lay in the centre of a large clearing.

As they approached from the forest, many strange creations emerged to join them. The creatures looked like a semblances of normal animals that had been smashed together.

Among them was what looked like a hippo with the fur and face of an otter, a four legged horse with the nose and colouring of a pig, soft plush tiny antelopes with ears and fur like rabbits, and so on...

Girl yearned to reach out and touch the-

'-rabbitelopes,' she named them in her head-

-but was unsure of how wild they might be. Their tiny hooves could cause quite a bruise to her thin skin.

Black, White, Virginia, and Q bowed to each living thing they passed. After this courteous gesture, each beast would formally fall in line behind them. Girl followed their lead, staying close in an attempt to avoid becoming lost or forgotten.

As they approached the stone table, Black and White gave each other a look and became more rigid, mirroring each other less and less. Two long benches, on either side of the high slab, formed out of the rock in front of them. Crystals emerged from deep within the earth to create two matching thrones, one at each end.

Fluttering to one of the thrones at the head, Virginia sat, fluffing her skirts out behind her. White took a seat to her left, Black to her right, and Q beside Black. Girl stood, studying them all. She was extremely unsure of what to do. They all turned and looked at her expectantly.

Finally, Girl decided that balance was most important and sat beside White across from Q. She felt good about her decision. Now there were equal numbers on both sides.

She turned to Virginia.

"When can we expect food?" Girl queried, as politely as hunger would allow.

Virginia smiled and patted her hand.

"Soon dear," she said. "First, you get to meet the most amazing man. Well, he's more than a man, really... he's royalty."

She gazed off into the distance... and GASPED!

"Here he comes!" she exclaimed, like a groupie when the main act hits the stage.

Girl looked out to see that a beautiful white horse with a single rainbow glitter horn protruding from its forehead was plodding toward them pulling a rickshaw. She gasped: realizing she was seeing a real unicorn.

"It's..." Girl started.

Black put a finger to her lips in the 'shh' gesture. Girl nodded and pursed her lips in an attempt to keep her commentary to herself.

Seated in the rickshaw, legs splayed wide, with one hanging over the side, sat Ten. An outrageously 'male' being decked out in red with a lopsided gold crown. He appeared to be much older than everyone else at the table. His arrogance hung off him like a cloak. He was both repelling and alluring.

Seeing them all seated and waiting, Ten clapped his hands.

"Welcome, friends: to dinner!" he called, pointing grandly at his crotch.

As the look of shock hit their faces, he laughed heartily.

With a glance at Girl, Virginia spoke up, trying to use her tone to hint to him not to be so crude.

"Now darling," she started, her gaze darting from Girl back to him, "don't you think that- that would... best be saved for dessert? ... when we're alone?"