~ twenty four ~

We held hands for the entire three hours we waited in line. At a certain point our hands were so sweaty that we slipped out of each other’s grasp. So many thoughts went through my head at the time I could process two things. Excitement and confusion.

        Basically, I was a hot mess.

        Before I even knew it we were three people away. I had the book clutched in my free hand, ready to be purchased and signed. My palms were so shaky it almost fell out of my hands. It was twenty-five dollars well spent.

        “Hello, what’s your name?”

        Oh. My. God. I tried to speak but no words came out. Luckily, Shreyas answered for me.

        “Scarlett.”

        Cynthia Grace smiled and took his books as well. “And you?”

        “Shreyas,” he responded politely.

        “She’s a shy one, huh?”

        He laughed. “I just think she’s a little starstruck.”

        Cynthia Grace smiled. “I hope you love the book.”

        I almost died.

        “Thank you,” Shreyas answered for me. He grabbed our books and led me towards the door. My heart was beating so loud, I was almost positive Shreyas could hear it from beside me. “Scar, your pulse is really fast. Are you okay?”

        No words would come to me. It was like I had forgotten how to speak. Cynthia Grace had been my favorite author for god knows how long and now that her final book had come out, all the grief and excitement and everything hit me at once. This overload of emotions had rendered me speechless.

        “Scarlett.” Shreyas shook me.

        “She was amazing.” My mind was in a far away place, and he knew it. So, he helped me into the car, and told me to rest.