Chapter Four: The Pack Hunt

(Lyla's pov)
I woke as light filtered through the room and I looked to see Ember's black hair sprawled out around her. After her nightmare my wolf refused to leave her so I'd had no choice but to stay with her. My little sister.

Honestly, I had no idea why I felt so protective of her but with the threat of the rogue King and her possible death if she didn't survive the shift I could see why... At least a little.

"Hey! Ly! Want some munchies?" Tyler asked. I grinned and caught the chocolates and sweets he hurled at me. Sugar always perks me up. "So, how's Em?" He asks referring to Ember. I sigh.

"Asleep for now, I still haven't told her about the pack hunt tonight. Would you and Sheila train her for me?" He nods.

"You owe me, Ly!" He hollers and I laugh flipping him off.

"I owe you?! You're the one who's in my cabin at six in the morning!" I holler back and head upstairs into Ember's room. She stirs and pounce on the bed making her squeal.

"Hey! Tyler's gonna help you today so eat up!" I say and throw the chocolates and other munchies at her.

"Help me with what?" She asks and I chuckle.

"Putting you're ass in the dirt". I watch as her jaw drops and eyes bug. "Once you've ate get dressed and meet me downstairs I'll take you to the training grounds" I tell her and she nods as I leave. My wolf rolls her eyes on my Mind at my antics.

Here's to ass beatings...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Ember's pov)
I pull my hair up into a ponytail once it's dried and pull on some underwear, leggings, grey fleecy jumper and converse. I trot down the stairs and find Lyla waiting for me.

"C'mon everyone's there waiting to meet you. Sheila is Tyler's mate and she's really nice." I smile lightly as Lyla grand my hand and pulls me along with her through the forest.

We make it to a clearing where wolves are sparring in circles made from dirt. "So, here's the plan. We're going to spar and you are going to get all anger from you're system out into the open" I nod. Lyla grabs my wrist and pulls me into the ring. "Ok, now take a swing" I shake my head. "C'mon! Or are you to scared? No wonder you're host parents and foster brother kicked you around so much!"

A crowd had gathered but I shrugged it off, I knew Lyla was trying to get me to hit her by riling me up; secretly a sadistic darker part of me wanted to beat her up but i couldn't hurt the only family I had left.

I felt pain erupt in my ribs and looked up to see Lyla smirking. "What? No comeback? Oh wait, you're just a weak, broken girl with nobody left to care about you" I snapped, lunging I slammed her into the ground she groaned and kicked at me but I shrugged the pain off. I'd had worse. I kicked her hard and threw her away from me. Lyla laughed.

"Good! Dom get you're butt in here!" I watched as Dom walked into the ring and Lyla stepped out. "Have at it!" she yelled and Dom lunged slamming into me, the air left my lungs and Dom tore into me.I cried out as he punched me in the gut and keeled over. My mind flashing to when Jason used to beat me black and blue when he was drunk.

I charged Dom and nailed him in the face, he swung but I dodged and kicked him in the kidneys, circling each other I watched as fur sprouted from Dom's back and bones cracked as flesh ripped and soon his wolf stood before me staring at me with black, soulless eyes. He charged me and I was sent flying backwards. I gasped as I hit the ground feeling my arm scream in pain.

Shakily, I stood on my feet and with all my strength I rammed into him. He skidded backwards and I lunged, landing on his back. He tried to shake me off but i held on tighter i pulled on his fur and he roared. He thrashed violently and as I flew through the air I landed on my shoulder and rolled.

I heard gasps and saw Cole glaring daggers at Dom. I laughed lightly as we began circling each other once more. We went blow for blow for blow until Dom was at the edge of the ring.

I lunged once more and he staggered backwards and out of the ring cheers surrounded me and I forced myself not to faint as the adrenaline started to ware off and the pain increased. "You did really good out there" Dom said and pulled me into a hug, I stiffened but soon returned the embrace.

"Thanks" I breathed and pulled away only to be assaulted by more hugs from my family. "You should rest, the hunt isn't until tonight and you'll still have time for weapons training but you look beat" he says giving me a pointed look.

"Hunt? Weapons training?" I was seriously confused.

"It's pack custom and part of initiation for new members to be accepted into the pack, we hunt and kill animals and take their carcasses back to the pack to be cleaned and crafted into tools and décor and save the fresh meat for winter" Tyler explains. I nod. "Shelia and I are going to help you train but you should go freshen up and get some shut eye, It's going to be a long day..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It was time for the hunt and Serena has kindly landed me some clothes to wear with Lyla declaring that she was 'proud of her body' as I stared distastefully at the leather pants and boots.

Huffing I pulled the top over my head and pulled on the pants and jacket with the boots and headed down the stairs. I'd trained with knives and a sheath of arrows and a bow and Tyler had let me lend them from the armoury.

Slinging the bow over my back with the arrows I tucked the knives into my holster and headed down the stairs with Lyla behind me.

Let the hunt begin...