We Will Stand

The next afternoon a few members of the group have settled in the living room of the Cullen's home. Kate, her sister Tanya, and their coven mates Eleazar and Cameron. Along with Carlisle, Bella, Edward and myself. For the first time in days my nose isn't being insulted with the stench of wolf, since Jacob had gone out to train some of the new pack members. However, that peace didn't last for long, soon after we hear barking and growling coming from the woods. Soon after Carlisle looks over to Eleazar. "We weren't expecting anyone else were we?" Eleazar shakes his head, at which point everyone jumps up and runs out the door, toward the sound of the pack. When we see Jacob, the group comes to a stop and looks up onto a ridge, where we see two men dressed in rather Victorian looking black leather. Carlisle lets out a sigh, before addressing the men. "Vladimir. Stefan. You're a long way from home."

I hear Kate whisper behind me. "What are they doing here?"

I glance at her over my shoulder and then back up at the men. Vladimir and Stefan were part of the most powerful coven in the world before the Volturi took power. Vladimir shrugs and the two sit on a rock. The two speak with very thick Romanian accents, "We heard the Volturi were moving against you. But that you would not stand alone."

"We didn't do what we were accused of." Carlisle steps in front of the group.

"We do not care what you did, Carlisle."

Stefan smiles and nods in agreement. "We have been waiting a millennium for the Italian scum to be challenged."

"It's not our plan to fight the Volturi."

Vladimir and Stefan look over their shoulders at each other. "Shame. Aro's witnesses will be so disappointed."

"They enjoy a good fight."

Eleazar steps forward, now even with Carlisle, who had moved forward when he was talking to Vladimir and Stefan. "Aro's witnesses?"

"Aw... Still hoping they'll listen?"

Carlisle and Eleazar share a worried look, before looking over at Edward. "Why don't the two of you come back to the house with us?"

On our way back to the house Bella and I start talking. "I hope they see a reason to at least try to hear the truth about Renesmee."

I pat her back. "Don't worry, your coven has some amazing friends. They can't ignore this many witnesses."

She nods and gives me a wary smile. I can tell it meant a lot to her to hear that, but it didn't do anything to ease her mind. We head back to the house and wait for the others to get back. The nomads and the Irish coven had left to hunt outside the area, as they had promised Carlisle they would. When everyone gets there Carlisle and Eleazar call a meeting in the living room of the Cullen's house. Eleazar seems to lead the meeting and stands in the middle of the room with his arms crossed. "After Vladimir and Stefan got here this afternoon I got to thinking about some similar situations with the Volturi. When Aro wants someone from a coven it's never long before evidence turns up proving that coven committed some crime."

Belle walks into the room and sits next to Jacob on one of the couches. "So he's done this before?"

"It happens so rarely, I never realized it was a pattern."

Carlisle leans against the arm of one of the couches, "Apparently he always pardons one person whose thoughts he claims are repentant."

Eleazar nods. "This person always has an ability. And they're always given a place with the Guard."

Edward nods and plays with his hands nervously. "This is all about Alice. He has no one like her."

Belle nods her head. "Which is why she left."

Emmett steps forward and crosses his arms. "Why does he need witnesses?"

The scraggly looking man in the corner of the room steps forward. "To spread the word that justice has been served. After he slaughters an entire coven."

I shake my head and look down, Mary grabs my hand. The older of the Egyptian vampire steps in front of the pair of younger vampires in his coven. "Benjamin, Tia, we're leaving."

Edward scoffs and shakes his head. "And where will you go? What makes you think they'll be satisfied with Alice? What's to stop them from going after Benjamin next? Or Zafrina, or Kate, or Katherine, or anyone else with a gift? Anyone they want. Their goal isn't punishment, it's power. It's an acquisition. Carlisle might not ask you to fight, but I will. For the sake of my family. But also for yours. And for the way you want to live."

The room falls silent for a few moments before Jacob stands.  "The packs will fight. We've never been afraid of vampires."

Soon after the Delani's stand. "We will fight."

Garrett steps forward. "This won't be the first time I fought a king's rule."

Lee moves up beside Mary and I, as the two of us, stand. "We will fight as well."

Benjamin steps in front of the man who stepped in front of him. "I will join you."

"No." Amun protests.

"I will do the right thing, Amun. You may do as you please."

Seanna steps forward. "We will stand with you."

The Irish coven stands as well. "So will we."

The nomads step forward and nod to Carlisle, indicating they will fight as well, as the Cullen coven stands as well. As we look around the room, everyone except the scraggly looking man steps forward or stands. Vladimir leans over slightly toward Stefan. "That didn't take much."

Edward smiles wryly. "Let's hope it doesn't come to that."

I take a deep breath and head out of the room, walking past Garrett, who takes a few steps out of the room with me, slightly gripping my arm. "Are you okay."

I nod. "Yeah, I just need some air."

Garrett smiles softly. "Care for some company?"

I shrug.  "Why not."

The two of us head out of the Cullen house and into the woods, just strolling through the woods. I look up at the moon and admire its beauty, but while I am walking I don't see a large rock in my path and trip. Garrett catches me before I hit the ground, laughing. "A hundred years and you're still just as clumsy as you were back then."

I shake my head and get flustered. "It only seems to be around you."

"Really? Could it be you have a bit of a crush on me? Could it be you want to me to kiss you and love you?" I stutter, trying to think of an answer. But before I can he steps in close to me and places his hands on my waist. I look up at him almost starry-eyed, as he leans in slowly toward me. I place my hands on his shoulders as his lips inch closer to mine. When our lips finally meet I feel a spark, something I've never felt before. Once our first kiss breaks, Garrett wraps his arms around me, pulling me close, as I wrap my arms around his neck. He kisses me again, this time with a little more passion. We continue our embrace for a few more moments before our lips break apart, and Garrett places his forehead against mine. "You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that."