🌼 Ten 🌼

Once the bell to end lunch rung, it was a surprise that Evan didn't get up. How could he, when he was with Jared?

Jared, even with everything that went on, was his saving grace. He was like a protector, kind of. He was ran and nice and everything in between.

Evan was so damn conflicted, too.

So Evan didn't move, just laid his head back on Jared's shoulder and looked at the school. All the hustle that was going on there was nowhere to be found over in their little spot beneath the small tree.

"We gonna go to class, Ev?" Jared asked, looking at the other boy.

"I just want to stay with you," Evan admitted, "Please."

"Okay. We can stay for as long as you want." Jared grinned.

"Forever, then?" Evan joked, chuckling softly. 

"Sure. Forever doesn't sound bad, although we did eat all our food and will have to get more somehow." Jared joked along.

"Jare, that's what the bugs are for. We'll eat them. The slimy worms and red ants." Evan giggled now, his smile growing bigger every moment that passed.

"Evan, I just ate. Would you like to eat my throw up, too? Wait, no, that's grosser." Jared chuckled and rolled his eyes. 

"Ew, I only eat bugs, Jare. No throw-up." Evan nudged Jared gently with his elbow, continuing to giggle like a fool. Jared didn't say anything back, just admiring Evan's laugh and how happy he looked.

He looked happy, alright.

"Okay, for real, it's getting hot out here. We could sneak out and go for a drive, or just go back to one of our houses. I suggest yours, seeing as it's guaranteed to be empty, but we don't have to go there." Jared offered.

"Alright, but you're gonna need to teach me how to not give us away and how to skip, because I've never done both." Evan chuckled a little nervously. 

"Can do. Skipping's a lot easier than you think. I mean, I know you have anxiety, but it's seriously not that hard," Jared explained, "And as for not giving us away, just be quiet, and don't tell anyone that you skipped ever." Evan nodded and stood, holding his hand out for Jared to help him up while grabbing his lunch box. Jared took it happily and Evan pulled him up. It took a moment for Jared to get up. 

Jared led them both around the school, under a gate that had been broken. Jared himself had to pull himself out of the narrow space to get through, which caused him to feel a little self-conscious, but he shook it off and helped Evan through.

"Alright, so now we've got to get to the parking lot undetected. Not too hard, since they hardly check over here, but there's a possibility. Just stay quiet and follow me. No wandering off to look at butterflies or whatever you want to look at." He said, half joking.

"Okay, I promise I won't." Evan smiled assuringly and followed him silently. They got to the silent parking lot, where Jared located his designated spot. They both quickly sprinted to his car, and Jared unlocked it before they got there so it'd be easier to get out of there. They both got in, buckled up, and drove the fuck out of there. It would kinda look like they were being chased, but that was just Jared's terrible driving for you.

"We're outta there. Now, to your house?" Jared asked, violently turning a corner.

"Sure. That's fine with me. Even if there isn't much to do." Evan shrugged and nodded. 

"Awesome." Jared smiled, going to give Evan a fistbump. Evan warned him to keep both hands on the steering wheel. Jared rolled his eyes and turned into Evan's driveway with a small skid. 

"We're here, Ev." Jared smiled gently.

"I know, I can see, Jared." Evan giggled softly, getting out once Jared cut the engine. He led Jared to the door and stopped to wait for the slightly shorter boy. Once Jared joined him, he hesitated before opening the door, a smile lingering behind as he let the other in.

"Welcome back to my humble abode, Jare."

"Why, thank you. It's an honor to be back. I've grown to like this place, you know." Jared noted, grinning from ear to ear.

"I have some board games, if you wanna play." Evan said, leading him to the living room closet, where a select few games lay.

"We have to play Scrabble. I'm a pro and will definitely win." Jared said, already being overly competitive. 

"Jared, no 'yolo' and 'memez' this time. Don't bring me back to middle school." Evan rolled his eyes and laughed.

"Hey, you're the one who never called them out. You basically let me win." The brunette raised an eyebrow.

"Because I was too afraid I'd make you mad or something!" Evan just laughed more.

"Well, call me out, then, this time. Let's play." Jared smiled gently.

The two played three rounds, Jared winning two of those and Evan winning one. Evan was honestly happy he won just one, not caring that he didn't win the majority of the games. Jared was overly ecstatic that he himself actually won. He wasn't shy about showing it, either. Evan didn't mind too much, though. In fact, it was kinda cute how excited he got over a few Scrabble games. He'd stand and cheer, pumping his fists in the air and smiling widely as if he were the happiest person alive. And weirdly enough, his bragging wasn't too bad, either. He sang off key in Evan's face about how he won, and normally, Evan would be brought off guard and maybe even saddened by it, but now he couldn't get enough of it.

Long story short: Jared Kleinman was a pretty cute dude when he was happy.

Just for the sake of Jared, Evan played one more round with Jared, letting him win and only relishing his happiness more. Jared's happiness really was a drug, it seemed. A drug he could get used to.

They finished their game and put it away, both agreeing to watch a movie. Jared surprisingly let Evan choose, but Evan chose something Jared would probably like better than he would. As the movie started and both boys were supplied with popcorn, they sat down, Jared laying his head on Evan's chest. Along with being happy, he was in a cuddly mood, and how could he not cuddle with Evan? 

The two went silent as the movie started, only the sound of crunching popcorn coming from their mouths. 

------

yeet more chapters!!!!
- alexa