🌼 Nine 🌼

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Jared groaned loudly. He rolled over, mistakingly almost crushing Evan. He didn't realize how close they were.

He sighed and sat up, gently shaking Evan to wake up as he turned off the loud alarm.

"Evan, wake up. I know you don't want to, and neither do I, but we'll be late," He chuckled a little. The other boy rolled over to meet Jared's gaze, and smiled a little.

"Alright, that's fine." He stayed laying down, chuckling with Jared.

"The one and only Evan Hansen doesn't care if he's late?" Jared said, as if shocked, "Its a miracle." He grinned sheepishly.

"Come on, let's get ready for school, Jare." He got out of his bed and stood, stretching and exposing a small bit of his stomach. Jared couldn't help but smile at that fact. Evan was adorable.

About 15 minutes later, the two boys, with help of extra toothbrushes and sharing toiletries, both Jared and Evan were ready for school. It was still dark out, they had to go so early.

They agreed to take Jared's car, as it was already there. Silently, they drove, getting stuck in a sea of other high schoolers trying to get to the same place-absolute Hell.

Twenty minutes of waiting to get a spot in their own senior parking lot, Jared could turn off the engine and park. Evan got out once he did, as well as Jared.

"I'll try to be better with the bullies. I'm not gonna let them hurt you today, Evan. I'm not. You don't deserve that." He shook his head about five times, trying to prove a point.

"Jared, you don't have to, seriously. It's, it's fine. Just please don't worry about it. They don't hurt me." He promised, shaking his head as well. He really didn't need it want Jared to involve himself, it wasn't worth it for him.

"But I'm a dick. I don't want to be a dick, Evan. I want to stand up for you." He sighed, looking down whilst walking.

"It's fine, just, please drop it? It's fine." Evan dismissed the topic, beginning to feel a little weak and shaky.

"Whatever," Jared looked away, "See you later." He began to walk away, toward his own locker, before turning to see Evan quickly scurrying down an empty hall to avoid being seen and talked about. He disappeared behind a corner.

Jared did what Evan wanted him to do. He left him alone and dropped the subject. He didn't want to upset Evan or cause him to panic or hurt him again. He wouldn't be the one to do that.

Later on, at lunch specifically, Jared sat right next to Evan. He didn't care about the stares or the whispers, or the way his friends (which were probably not his friends anymore) eyed him weirdly. Everyone seemed to look at him like he was crazy.

"Hi, Evan." He smiled and waved a little.

"Jared, I told you, I don't want to ruin your reputation. Just, just act like, like you're teasing me or something. Please, Jare." He begged in a whisper.

"I don't care if my reputation is ruined, I never had one," Jared insisted and pushed his glasses up, "I want to stay here. I want to sit with you. Who cares about the stares?" He looked around a bit.

"I do," Evan fiddled with his thumbs, "I don't like being stared at, Jared." His fidgeting escalated as he started playing with the hem of his shirt.

"Then I'll make sure no one stares. I'll tell them all to stop. They're all jerks, anyway, right?" Jared hoped that Evan would agree, and hoped that he could shout at everyone to leave them alone.

"Or we could eat outside. Out near your tree?" Jared suggested. Evan nodded at that, taking his food and going to the small tree in the "back" of the school. Jared followed quickly after him, seeing as his legs were shorter than Evan's.

Once they got there, Evan sat beneath the leaves of the tree, taking in the cool shade that made it seem even cooler out. Jared sat next to him and took in the empty silence. Only birds chirped, and the occasional yell of a high school student st his friends. Other than that, it was silent. Jared could see why Evan liked it so much back there. It wasn't even far from the school, and it was like a quiet new world. It could take you away from the stress of high school, from the insecurities you feel every day, and especially from being pointed out.

Evan spoke up after he finished eating, speaking slow and timidly.

"I'm sorry I'm so scared of everyone hating me." He brought his knees to his chest and hid his face in his knees. "I'm sorry I won't let you sit with me for stupid reasons. You're only trying to help."

"Hey, it's okay, don't be sorry. I forgive you. I'd be scared, too. Hell, I am scared," He admitted and sighed, "I'll only help if you want me to help."

"I really want you to help, Jared," Evan laid his head on Jared's shoulder, "Please help."

"Of course," Jared whispered, "Anything for you."