Sixty-Eight - May 17, 2018

Start from the beginning

"Yeah... I'm starting to wish I'd turned him in for child abuse sooner – then maybe Rachel's brother would still be alive," Miles said, his voice cracking.

Detective Walker looked between us. "Wait – are you saying..."

I nodded. "We believe William Jefferson killed James Cross."

Miles

Detective Walker stared at us – his honey colored eyes bright with shock. "What makes you think that?"

I held the phone out to him. "These are photos of articles, a photo, and a receipt that I found buried in William's desk. Just swipe right."

He took the phone from me, and the longer he looked, the paler his face became. "Jesus Christ," he muttered. "This isn't enough to convict on, but it's enough for me to bring him in for questioning." He handed me the phone back, and I handed it to Luke.

"So, what's next?" I asked.

"I'll bring him in, and I can likely get a search warrant for both his home and at work. Then, we'll see what we can get out of him. As far as the child abuse, rape, and assault is concerned, I'll need statements from you, Luke's mother, and Rachel Cross."

Luke looked at me. "I – I don't think my mom is going to want to do that."

"Well, that's her prerogative, but you've got time to convince her. You know, ordinarily, I'd probably look at this evidence and say it's all circumstantial and nothing would ever come of it... but with the history you just gave me... I'd say we have something here."

I felt relief wash over me, but it was cautious relief. I wouldn't be completely at ease until my father was behind bars. "Thank you, Detective."

He stood to shake our hands. "No, thank you. This can't have been easy, turning your father in for vehicular manslaughter."

Luke and I glanced at each other. "It was easier than you might think," Luke replied.

The detective smiled. "I'll be in touch." He opened the door and walked us out to the lobby.

Brooke

"Look! There they are!" I said, pointing toward the glass doors.

Rachel sat up and looked. "Oh God. I can't read their faces."

"Just hang on, they'll be here in a sec."

Miles opened the back door and slid in next to Rachel, while Luke hopped in next to me.

"Well?" Rachel asked impatiently. "How did it go?"

"Detective Walker thinks they have enough to get a warrant and to bring him in for questioning!" Miles exclaimed.

I lay my head back against the headrest in relief. "Yes..."

Rachel put her hand over her mouth and tears sprang to her eyes. "Really?"

"Yeah. Miles told him everything about his dad – the abuse, the rape, the assault on you. That really helped solidify the fact that he's a total dick."

"Wow," Rachel murmured. She looked at Miles and put her hands on his cheeks. "Thank you, baby... you have no idea what this means to me."

"I think I have some idea," he replied, kissing her nose.

I turned around in my seat. "Rach?"

"Yeah?"

"How are you going to tell your parents?"

She gulped. "I have no idea. Should I wait until they're, like, about to arrest him?"

I considered this and looked at Luke and Miles. "What do y'all think?"