T H I R T Y

Jonah Marais

It was around 3pm and we were all watching a movie in the basement.

"Hey guys we should go take some pictures outside" Daniel suggested. "Yeah I need some more pictures for Instagram" Corbyn agreed.

"Everyone cool with that?" Daniel checked. Everyone nodded their head and went out back.

We all took individuals. I saw Ashlyn just sorta sitting on the side. She looked out of place. "Ashlyn come take a picture with me" I called to her.

"Okay" She said walking over to me. "Here hop on my back" I said. "Are you sure?" She asked. "Yes" I smiled.

She hopped on my back and we took some pictures. We kinda looked like a couple.

I could tell Daniel was not having it.

After that Zach and Jack joined in and Zach got on Jacks back. It was a cute picture.

"Guys Christina and Alex are coming over" Corbyn said.

"Okay" I replied.

Ashlyn got off my back. "Wait Ashlyn do you see that?" I asked. "See what?"

"That thing in the pool" I said as I followed her towards the pool. She got closer and leaned down looking in the pool.

"I don't see anything in the-" I seized the opportunity and pushed her in the pool. The boys started laughing. "Jonah!" She said slashing water at me.

Then I got pushed in. By Jack who jumped in right after. Followed by the other boys.

Ashlyn and I were having a water fight. Wait, she's actually gorgeous. I love her laugh. It sounds so much like Riley's. It only made me miss her more.

I continued pretending to have fun.

"Boys! Boys! And unfamiliar girl?" Christina said coming out to the backyard.

"Oh this is Ashlyn" Zach introduced her to Alex and Christina.

"Hi" she said. "Hey" Alex and Christina said in split moments.

Ashlyn sat on the edge of the pool kicking her legs in the water. The other boys were air drying on the chairs on the patio.

Everyone else was busy talking so I sat next to Ashlyn. "What's wrong?" I asked. "I don't know. I just feel like they don't like me. Especially Daniel." She said.

"That's only because he thinks I'm betraying Riley in a way by hanging out with you. He misses her. And he doesn't like me with anyone but Riley." I explained.

"Oh. I should probably get going" she said standing up.

"No Ashlyn. Please stay. Daniel will like you once he gets past his issue. I promise." I said grabbing her hand.

She looked up at me. "Could we go back inside?" She asked. "Sure" I smiled. And so we did.

Our clothes were still a bit damp but they would dry quickly.

"What do you wanna do?" I asked.

"I knew Riley." She blurted our. "W-What? You did?" I asked. "Yes" She said letting out a breath.

"I'm her twin sister" she replied. "So she did have siblings I guess." I smiled at the last date we had.

"Yeah. It was about a year ago when I met her. Riley never went by Rics last name. Always her madden name. So when my family saw that she was missing, we searched and searched until we finally found her." She said.

"So you know where she is?" I asked hopeful. "No, sadly. She only stayed with us for about a month before taking off again. I know she's okay though." She said.

"How do you know that?" I asked. "Because Riley is strong. She's smart. I believe she will be okay. And just know, she's closer than you think. She will come back for you." She said.

"You think so?" I asked. "I know so" she replied.

I embraced her in a huge hug. It was like she was Riley. They shared the same blood. And that made me wanna hangout with Ashlyn even more.

"Hey guys!" Jack said coming in. Followed by everyone else. "What are you guys doing?" Zach asked.

"Can I tell them?" I whispered. She nodded. "Guys Ashlyn is Riley's sister" I said.

Daniels and Alex's face instantly lit up. "Seriously?" Daniel said. He came and gave Ashlyn a hug. "I'm sorry for being an ass to you by the way." He whispered.

"It's okay. I get it." She replied back.

Next was Alex. Alex was crying. Alex gave Ashlyn a really tight hug. "S-So did you see her?" Alex asked.

"Yes" Ashlyn said. "How?" Daniel asked. Ashlyn explained the story to everyone. "Man I never even met Riley and I'm tearing up" Christina said.

"Me too" Zach said.