chapter three

Bucky's Story

I woke up in the middle of the night with a headache so strong it made the

pounding in my head synchronize with the beat of my heart.

Unsteadily, I rose to my feet and silently stepped past a Steve, who was slumped over on the couch, snoring loudly. I went into the kitchen for a glass of water.

That's when I felt it again.

It was something worse than a cramp; the pain paralleled being burned alive. It felt like my insides were twisting into a ball all in one spot, and with every breath I took, it would only tighten.

I groaned in agony. A couple tears slipped as I gripped my side.

They were right. The symptoms were intensifying by the day. And I knew that if I didn't get treatment soon....

No. I wasn't going to die. They were just trying to scare me.

The scientists that worked for HYDRA loved to do that type of shit. They were sick, twisted sons of bitches. I'd fucking kill every single one of them with my bare hands if given the chance.

And then there was the dilemma of Steve.

My best friend since childhood, I reminded myself.

The Smithsonian filled in some holes in my memory, but not all of them. I learned just enough about myself to know that I wasn't a villain. I was actually pretty good at one point in my life. I was a Sargent.

The one-o-seventh.

I had friends, too. They were good people, from what I read. I remembered Dum Dum the best. We were good friends. I think.

For some reason, while I was in the kitchen, I started to cry.

It wasn't because of the ache in my side or the constant throbbing in my head when I remembered... I was crying because I missed everyone. It hurt. My chest felt like it was going to burst.

Stop crying.

My hands trembled.

Stop crying.

My throat went aflame.

Stop crying.

I melted into a sobbing heap on the floor. Bringing my knees to my chest, I let out the loudest noise ever.

Stop crying.

But I couldn't stop myself. I wailed loudly into my knees, shoulders bouncing, throat burning. It felt like I was hit by a bus.

What was I gonna do?