chapter two | old habits die hard.

Bucky was an open book, as it'd turn out. All it took was a mean cup of joe to get him going.

Every question I asked, he answered. He was clear, articulate. He didn't hold back when I drilled him on his whereabouts these past few months—however he did seem to retreat when I danced around the subject of D.C.

I filed that conversation away for another time.

I questioned him on subjects along the lines of HYDRA down to how he's managed to thrive for all this time while on the run.

Bucky answered honestly.

He said that navigating under HYDRA's watchful eye wasn't an easy task, but he managed to get by virtually undetected.

He assured me that they wouldn't find him here, but he didn't want to risk leaving behind any prints.

"I'll have to leave by morning," he said. "These are nasty, ruthless people we're talking about. They wouldn't hesitate to hurt you. I won't let that happen, Steve. Not again."

"Where will you go?"

"Don't know yet. Somewhere close. Wanna keep an eye on you." He peered up at me through his thick lashes as he took another sip of his coffee.

I couldn't just let him leave.

"I know where you can go, Buck..."

There was a safe house just a few blocks down from my apartment where Fury sent agents to live when they've been compromised. It was like a safe haven.

Barton lived there for a while after what Loki pulled.

Somehow, I convinced Bucky to let me take him there.

"I need to take a bath first," Bucky said lowly. Before I could direct him to the washroom, he peeled his top off.

He was starting to unbutton his pants when I stopped him.

"I-I'm going to borrow you some of my clothes," I stammered, ripping my eyes off his bruised body. "The bathroom's down the hall. First door on your left."

I started to walk away when Bucky suddenly grabbed my arm. His metal fingers dug into my skin. I winced.

"Sorry..." he mumbled, releasing his grip.

"Did you need something?" I asked, absent-mindedly rubbing my throbbing skin.

He looked at my face for a moment too long. His mouth twitched as if he were about to say something, but instead he turned his head away and took a huge step back.

"Never mind."

_______

Some time later I walked into the bathroom with a bundle of clothes and a basket of toiletries.

The air was thick and heavy and humid from the shower, but I didn't mind it.

I plopped his supplies down by the sink and then made my way back to the door, averting my eyes from his shadow on the other side of the curtain.

"Hey, Steve?" I was just about the walk out of the bathroom when Bucky's voice tugged me back in.

"Yeah?"

"That grenade you threw at me earlier...it wasn't going to go off, right?"

"No, Buck. It was a dud. You know I wouldn't have put anyone in that type of danger."