Chapter 1

This story is only meant for people who have read all three darkest minds books and all three novellas. Seriously SPOILERS!! But anyway this story is if the broken leg never happened. Basically, anything from the escape to the end never happened and this is basically a "Fourth book" or just a new ending. HOPE YOU ENYOJ.

I ripped out of his mind with such a force he stumbled back. I was wounded and scared by the anger and hate in his heart, by the thoughts and memories which flooded his mind. I gasped for breath still feeling the way his mind swallowed me up, the way I almost choked on the dark void which seemed to expand through his head sucking every good feeling and memory into its trench. There was nothing good left in him. And now I knew for sure. I looked up at his limp form on the ground, the way his chest rose up and down so painfully slow. I couldn't look at him but I couldn't rip my eyes away. I had ruined him. I had ruined him. His mind was trying to protect itself from the monster in me. From me. He was trying to defend himself from me. And yet all his head did was ruin itself so I couldn't ruin it. I felt the sting of tears at the back of my throat, but this time I couldn't keep it in. I watched him as he slowly started to rot away at the edges. How he disappeared into the wind. And yet all I did was cry. Cry, and cry, and cry. And then he wasn't the only one rotting away. I felt my soul escape me trying to get away from the monster inside of me. Trying to escape. But the monster was too quick. All I could feel was how I was getting swallowed by the darkness. I gasped my last words, in hope that someone would hear. But along with everything I loved my words were swallowed. And they would never be heard.

I woke up, gasping for breath. And then I remembered the dream. The nightmare of ruining him. The nightmare of letting him go again. I looked around the dark room trying to ignore a terrible migraine that just started to kick in. I was trying to tell myself that everything was okay. That it was just another nightmare. But somewhere at the back of my head, I could still feel the feeling of hate and anger in his mind. The way he blocked me out. His fear of the monster in me. And then I started to cry again. I wept in the darkness, mesmerized by the silence I was breaking. I heard Liam's breathing above me, and Chubs' silent snores. And then I recalled where we were. We were on the edge of West Virginia just south of Thurmond where the last few hundreds of kids were waiting for their parents to pick them up. And then it hit me. I was here because my parents didn't want me. I was here with them, running and hiding from prying eyes all over again.

I heard shifting above me. I looked up as a pair of legs dangled above me. He jumped off, stretched a bit and then noticed I was also awake. He took one look at me and his face scrunched up into a worried frown.

" Whats wrong Darlin'? " he whispered not wanting to wake up Chubs, Vida, and Zu.

" I don't know... I just... I had a... I..." I couldn't speak the nightmare came back and I crumbled to the grown in tears again. I couldn't think I couldn't speak and it hurt so much to see him after what I had just done. "I'm sorry..." I didn't know why I was apologizing but I knew that the only way I could be dreaming about them is if my mind wandered. Meaning I had been inside his head. I could have done anything I could have ruined him.

" It's okay darlin', your alright..." He silently reassured me. But it didn't help. I knew what I had done and there was no forgetting it.

"No, it's not okay... I was... the nightmare it... you were... I couldn't.." I stuttered still too broken to breath, think or speak. I looked up at his sweet face, trying to calm down.

" Shhh... it's gonna be okay, your okay, it was just a dream." He softly kissed me on my forehead, lifting me back onto the bed. I rolled over to my side squishing against the wall. That managed to calm me down. The walls were cold, and rough which was exactly what I needed to relax and let my mind and body rest. Liam snuggled in after me wrapping his hands around my waist and pulling me closer.

The tender touch of sleep quickly carried us away and before we knew it it was morning.