Truth and Lies

Hello, my dear readers.

This chapter is 2500 words longer than usual :)

Well then, please enjoy, everyone!

~'0'~

''One,'' the redhead's voice is unwavering, not showing his fear at all.

The brunet swallows, his throat dry, hands reaching behind his head. 'Two.'

The two friends untie the bandages, their hands being the only thing keeping the white material in place. '''Three!''' they say together, and let the bandages fall away.

Tenma blinks, his left eye slowly getting used to the sudden light. 'Well, at least it's not bleeding,' he says and Haru snorts.

''And we're not blind.''

Then the brunet looks in the mirror, and freezes.

''Oh... my god...'' whispers Haru in a shocked tone. ''Are... are you seeing this?''

'Y-yes,' whispers Tenma back, stunned, still staring at his reflection.

One grey and one orange eye stare back.

~'0'~  

The next morning a certain brunet is laying in his bed, staring at the ceiling of his room tiredly. 'Haru... what do we do now?' asks Tenma quietly, knowing his friend is already awake.

The redhead doesn't verbally answer, his emotions a mix of uncertainty and fear. After a few moments of mental silence he finally answers. ''Well... I guess... my team already knows about the experimenting, so there's no problem there. Since all Kanashimi students live at the dorms close by the school, I'll just have to cover my eye when I see my parents and sister today. And you're going to tell your team too, so that's no problem either...'' he trails off.

The brunet turns on his side, staring at the old soccer ball lying on the small cupboard on the other side of the room. His multicolored eyes are almost immediately attracted to the rough sketch of the lightning mark. 'That's... not what I meant,' he says finally. 'How much will this... affect us? We can't do this alone. I'm... I'm scared,' he admits hesitantly.

Haru doesn't react for a moment. ''So... so am I, but... once your friends and coach know about it, they can help us, right?'

Tenma doesn't need to answer for the other knows they agree on the subject. The brunet sighs as he looks at the clock hanging on the wall and realizes it's time for him to get up.

After taking a quick shower and dressing in his soccer uniform – oh, how he's missed it – he pets Sasuke for a moment and then steps out of his room. For a moment he hesitates but then he makes a decision and walks towards one of the other doors. He knocks lightly, hoping his friend is already awake.

''Who is it?'' comes a voice from the other side, and the brunet sighs in relief.

''It's me. Sorry for disturbing you, but I... need help,'' he says, hearing shuffling sounds from the room.

''A moment,'' calls the other back. ''Come in.''

Tenma opens the door and walks inside, taking a quick look at the room. It's nothing special: a bed, a desk with a chair, a closet and a cupboard filled with books. The occupant of the room is just making the bed. ''So, what is it you need help with?'' asks Shuu as he turns around to face his friend. Once he takes a good look at the brunet, his eyes widen and he takes a minute to compose himself. ''W-what...?''