27 | Another Love

Chapter Twenty-Seven

Blu's POV

When I wake up I find the same dread I felt last night creep into my mind yet again when I realize one thing and one thing only: Joel isn't speaking to me right now. I rub my face and feel the hopelessness in my heart once more; I wouldn't be with the one I truly wanted.

My phone vibrates before I can dive deeper into my thoughts and I take a breath before looking at the notification.

Yoyo — can't wait to see you today :*

For some odd reason my eyes start to burn and hot tears begin to burn my cheeks. I wipe at my eyes and look at my fingers in confusion, wondering why it was that I was crying.

I fumble for my phone and call Joaquín, trying to stop the uncontrollable sobs that had began to bubble from the depths of my body.

As soon as he picks up and hears my cries he is alert. "Woah, hey it's okay. It's okay sweetheart, just take deep breaths," he says as I hear someone climbing up the stair of my house.

The door to my room opens and Joaquín hangs up the phone as he sits on my bed. I look at him confused as I furiously wipe my tears away in vain. "How d-did you know I would be l-like this?" I ask through hiccups.

He shakes his head, "You're a little bruised right now, what type of a friend would I be if I didn't come to check up on you?"

I open my arms for him and he puts down his backpack before sitting down on my bed and hugging my tightly. He strokes my hair and holds me, trying to soothe the ache I hadn't known was there.

"I messed everything up," I hiccup out.

"You didn't, mi hijita. You just need to talk to him. I'm sure he will understand, I'll even go with you for moral support," he mumbles.

I nod, "That would be nice."

He chuckles at my wailed response and I give a choked laugh as well before wiping my eyes yet again. "You're such an emotional Cancer, I can't," he teases. I smack his stomach, "Shuddup, bro. I don't even know why I'm crying right now."

"You just proved my point," he emphasizes.

***

After my small existential crisis in the morning, Joaquín had picked out my clothes and made sure I looked presentable; He knew that I didn't have enough energy to do it myself so he dressed me in a white long sleeve tee, light blue jeans, and a pair of Vans.

Walking through the halls, I blow air out of my cheeks as I arrive at my locker. I run my hand through my hair and Joaquín waits for me to finish shoving things into my bag patiently.

"Hey, have you heard about Joel?" a girl near me gossips with her group of friends. I take a deep breath as she continues her thought. "I heard he and Yoandri had a huge fight last night at some party. Must've been pretty bad since they aren't talking to each other," she finishes.

Joaquín looks at me and I look back at him, wondering just what type of damage the two did too each other. My friend's eyes focus on something behind me and then he flickers his gaze back to me, a concerned expression on his face.

I don't bother to look over my shoulder, knowing that it was either Joel or Yoandri that was looking at me. Curiosity still manages to get the best of me and I turn my head, looking around until I finally land on a pair of eyes.

Joel doesn't bother to look away, instead he takes a deep breath and sends me a small forced smile. I return the favor before turning back to my locker, exhaling in the process.

I face Joaquín and he glances at me with worried eyes. I finally gingerly ask, "Do we go now?" His body language seems to tense up even more at my question and he analyzes my face. After a minute or two of contemplation he just shrugs at me, "If you want to."

I nod once and he hums as I close my locker door, swinging my backpack over my shoulder. "Ready?" Joaquín asks softly. I reply quickly, "Ready as I'll ever be." Just I turn to let the words in my heart out to the person they were meant for, I freeze in my footsteps because there Joel stood in all his glory, smiling and conversing with another girl.

Cold begins at the back of my mind and slowly seeps it's claws into my entire body, covering me in its icy grip. I take a step back at the blow that leaves me breathless and stand there for a second, unable to look away.

"What the fuck," Joaquín mumbles under his breath.

I close my eyes and look up at the universe before inhaling deeply, begging my face to not give away my feelings, and turning the other way.

_________________________

a/n

anna ou-