Chapter Sixty Six

"Hello, Dad..." She stepped forwards uncertainly towards her manic-eyed father who was quite the sight in his trademark 'kaleidoscope' coat and pyjamas compared to the formality of Fudge.  

Although she had the skin and eyes of her mother, her face was closer to Jasper's, long and thin with the same upturned nose, slender jaw and almond eyes. The resemblance went deeper than that though, both father and daughter were able to muster a near terrifying passion which few others could summon. Still, there was one major difference, she would never be caught dead in the shimmery colour changing rope Jasper loved so much ... that thing was hideous whether it was neon pink or tangerine orange.

"Aubrey, there you are... I knew you knew where she was, Fudge, leading me right to her you wily s - " 

"I am not a squib!"

Jasper's lips twisted into a smile as he pointed out, "I was actually going to say snake ... interesting that your mind jumped to that though. Very telling, Fudge, very telling indeed."

One look at Fudge's contorted features and angrily puckered lips told Aubrey that if she didn't get her father away, the Minister might spontaneously combust, "Dad ... what are you doing here?"

Jasper blinked, "Sprout told me the moment you were taken but even if they hadn't, I would have figured it out."

"No Mary today? I heard you two were quite the ... ahem, dynamic duo - " Somebody asked.

"Which was the last thing we needed," Someone else murmured although the voices stopped when both Jasper and Aubrey shot equally piercing glowers to the crowd

"My wife's out tending the spa ... but she'll figure it out too."

Several of the teachers were watching Jasper, their expressions all conveying amusement mingled with clear memories of irritation.

"I'm quite sure she will, Jasper, but if you would please let Mr Fudge go - "

"Bit disappointed in all of you really," Jasper cut in, to which Aubrey cringed, grabbing his arm and attempting to heave him away, "My Daughter gets abducted and you haven't even taken her to the hospital wing or anything - "

"Dad, I was just about to go there," Aubrey hissed, the terrifying leer Moody had given her suddenly hurtling back to the centre stage of her mind, "Please can we leave?"

"Not disappointed in you, of course, McGonagall - "

"Jasper, we can have a good talk later but I have greater problems right now..." McGonagall replied, resting her hand on his shoulder momentarily before drifting on by, suddenly exasperated as a large, gloomy creature floated by Fudge, "Minister, you cannot bring that thing in with you - "

"My good woman, I am Minister for Magic and I believe it is my duty to bring whatever I deem necessary with me," Fudge said.

"Albus would never ... Albus?!" McGonagall's eyes widened as the wily Headmaster had seemingly disappeared without a trace, "Minister - "

 Aubrey was still walking away but suddenly realised her Dad's sleeve had slipped from her grasp. Turning around, she realised that he'd come to a random halt, watching the trouble with a smile on his face.

"Dad, I'm going to the hospital wing, please come with me?"

"One moment," He held a single finger up, eyes fixated on the events at the end of the corridor, "I want to see Fudge get into trouble - 

Using a technique her Mother had taught her for controlling the unruly man, she took hold of his upper arm, pulling downwards, "No, we're going ... I don't want to be near the room any longer."