Chapter Thirty Eight

By the time the trio were ready to leave, Aubrey had become so enthralled in the bizarre creation that was nose biting teacups, the twins had to physically pull her out to avoid missing Ludo. Luckily, the time spent finding vague disguises gave them the perfect amount of time to change and alter them as necessary. By the end, Fred looked like a bootleg Deatheater, his curls stashed under a thick navy blue hood whilst Fred and Aubrey looked like they'd walked straight out of Beedle the Bard thanks to the curly dark haired wigs, silver-rimmed glasses and tweed robes they'd acquired. The bright blue invisibility watch prominently displayed on Aubrey's wrist ruined the look somewhat although, given the types of people that liked to frequent the Hog's Head, she reckoned they'd still be the most normal people in there. Plus, itt wasn't like a drunken Ludo would care too much anyway.

It was only half seven when the three of them arrived at the dingy pub, yet already there were several patrons, starting the night of drunkenness early. Aubrey's hand instantly leap to her nose to avoid inhaling the stench of alcohol and dust which had culminated into a foul cocktail that made her stick to the stomach.

"This place is disgusting," She murmured.

Fred gave her a nudge, peeking out from under his hood as he hissed,"Move your hand away from your nose."

"If I do that, I'll vomit."

"People are staring though, they're all used to the smell."

Somewhat reluctantly, Aubrey lowered her han, resisting the urge to bolt out the door which was still a mere few steps away. She took a tentative step forward, only to bump into George who'd abruptly stopped, his eyes wide with astonishment.

"Ludo?" Fred guessed to which George slowly shook his head, his eyes remaining transfixed. 

"No, look behind the bar," George laughed, "Swear that's Dumbledore."

Fred squinted slightly before scoffing, "Guess being a Headteacher doesn't pay as much as it used to - "

"It's not," Aubrey said quickly, "Look at the beard, it's gross, Dumbledore's is better maintained than that. Now come on, we need to order to avoid suspicion. No alcohol, we need to be sharp witted."

"No Alcohol? What's the point of a pub, then!" Fred grinned. The three went to the counter, George ordering three Firewhiskies as the remaining two kept an eye out for Ludo.

The barman turned out to be called Aberforth, a strange name which became even worse when Fred decided to almagate Aubrey with it resulting in the awful nickname 'Aubreyforth', which she sensed would be hard to shake. 

"I'm sorry, but it fits!" Fred argued, "Aubrey-forth..."

George raised an eyebrow at him although Aubrey continued to look unamused, leaning haughtily at the bar, turning her body away from Fred's bar stool.

"Well, I don't like it."

"Come on, Aubs ... sorry, Aubrey-forth," Fred said, "Lighten up, I don't really think you and the elderly barman would - "

He was suddenly cut off by George shushing them softly, pointing to the strapping figure of Ludo who had just walked through the door. Quickly, the three of them swivelled away, positioning themselves just like everyone else: hunched over and devoid of life. Fred pulled his cloak lower to avoid being spotted whilst George and Aubrey continued to look down, occasionally side eyeing Ludo to track his movement.

"How are we going to get the Veritaserum into his drink?" Aubrey whispered to George out of the corner of her mouth.

"Later..."

"But what if he leaves? It's kind of late."

"Please, Aubrey, it's only just gone eight ... the night has only just begun," He whispered back, "For now, we avoid getting our cover blown, he's too alert now. Once people get drunk, they get sloppier and Ludo's no exception, speaking from experience..."