"You were so nervous to meet your family. But she seems to have accepted you fine."

"It seems that way. I wonder what the rest will think."

Yasmin walked back into the room. A troubled look darkened her face. 

"This is not like Gedo. I phoned the library. He has been coming in every day, excited for the big event. Then yesterday and today he never showed up. His show is tomorrow night. I tried calling his office, but no one has seen him there either. You said the door was unlocked?" 

Kami nodded.

"Neina never leaves the door unlocked when they leave," Yasmin said. 

"Not to interrupt, but maybe Yasmin would care to know about the bedroom door?" Liam said.

"That's right! I can't believe I didn't tell you sooner!" Kami said. "The door's been ripped off its hinges! I'll show you."

Kami led Yasmin into the master bedroom and showed her the gaping doorway. The curtains swayed in the gentle breeze.

"I do not like to think what could have caused this!" she frowned, surveying the damage. "I need to check something." 

Yasmin left the room, and Kami followed. They walked into an office space with a handsome wooden desk and two bookshelves crammed full with books. She rummaged through the papers searching for something, then opened an oversized navy blue ledger. Kami looked over her shoulder. Liam followed, lounging in the doorway.

"What are you looking for?" Kami asked.

"Gedo is supposed to hold his exhibition tomorrow at the Bibliotheca Alexandrina, the rebuilt library of Alexander. His archeological team found some artifacts that they believe date back to Alexander the Great, and they are displaying them at the Antiquities Museum. Gedo thinks they may even discover Alexander's missing tomb at the dig site. Wouldn't that be an amazing find? They're hoping to raise funds to finish digging."

"So that's why Neina wanted me here," Kami said, "to see his exhibition!" The word Neina felt oddly natural on her tongue, maybe because it sounded so similar to Nana, which is what her best friend Ariana called her grandmother. Yasmin nodded.

"He has been living, breathing and eating everything Alexander for as long as I've known him, so this is important to him. He has been at the dig site or the library every day for weeks in preparation for tomorrow. I suppose he could have been so busy he may have forgotten to pick you up, but Neina? Never! She's as devoted to family as Gedo is to his precious antiquities. I was hoping that there might be something to tell me where they went, like ticket stubs, or an itinerary, or something in his planner. Anything!"

She set down the ledger with a sigh.

"There is nothing in there."

"What do we do now?" Kami asked. "Should we report them missing?"

Yasmin appeared lost in thought.

"Not yet," she said slowly. "I want to be sure they are really gone first. Come with me."

She grabbed Kami by the hand and dragged her into the kitchen. 

"Finish your breakfast. We need to drive somewhere," Yasmin said as she picked up the box of Cheerios and returned it to the cupboard. "I cannot believe you like these. Bleh!"

Then she walked out the front door.

"Where do you think she went?" Kami asked.

Liam shrugged and rinsed out his bowl.