Chapter 14

*Harry POV*

"Okay so the nurse said you should just try some soft, simple things if you're hungry. So she gave me some apple sauce and chicken broth. She said it's just like soup without all the chicken and noodles and stu-"

I looked up and saw Laney's eyes closed. I thought she said she wasn't tired. I carefully placed the food items on the table and sat back in the chair that might as well have my name on it.

I leaned my head back and thought to myself.

"I'm so glad you pulled through Laney. I don't know if I could keep going without you."

I reclined back in the chair and closed my eyes, I guess if she's sleeping it won't hurt for me to sleep a little bit too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

*Laney POV*

"I'm so glad you pulled through Laney. I don't know if I could keep going without you."

Those words ran through my head. I was almost asleep when I heard Harry enter into the room again. I tried to open my eyes, but I guess I was still tired even after sleeping for two days.

Just before I drifted into a deep sleep, I heard those words come out of Harry's mouth. And now I lay here, awake. Watching him as he lightly snores from the chair next to my bed.

A nurse walks in and I put a finger by my lips, motioning for her to be quiet. She gives me a big smile and a wink and nods.

She hangs a new bag filled with liquid and connects it to the IV needle in my left hand. She checks all the other machines and gives me a thumbs up, letting me know everything looks good.

"Do you need anything?" She whispers as she is getting ready to leave.

"Do you think, I could um, or could he get a blanket?" I didn't really know if that sounded awkward or not, but the nurse smiled and nodded yes.

When she came back she carefully unfolded the blanket and placed it over him which I was grateful for because there is no way I could have done that.

"What a great husband you have. You're one lucky girl."

I tried to smile and act natural, but I know I completely failed. The nurse just chuckled and walked out of the room, quietly shutting the door behind her.

My thoughts returned to Harry's words from earlier. What did he mean? We've only known each other for a short time. We really don't know anything about each other. Surely he would be just fine without me. He's managed the last nineteen years hasn't he? 

It was completely dark outside now and the only light was coming from the dim glow of a lamp and the machines surrounding the bed. I managed to grab the tv controller and find something have decent to watch.

A new nurse came in, introducing himself as my night nurse. He gave me some more pain medication and told me it would probably make me fall asleep soon.

He was right because I was only twenty minutes into the next movie when I felt my eyes getting heavy. I feel asleep before I could even turn off the tv.

--------------------------------------------------------

I felt someone stroking my hair as I slowly woke up.

"How is she doing?" The hand was quickly withdrawn.