Chapter 5

I haven't seen Chad in three days. After he got home and stormed off to his room that one night, he has been leaving early and getting home super late. I would hear him rumaging around in the kitchen each morning and I would hear the garage door open each night when he would come home.

I wasn't complaining about it. I just didn't understand it. I straightened my hair and put on some red skinny jeans with a black sweater. It was the first of October and it was getting really cold.

As I was sitting at the counter in the kitchen eating some breakfast, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I pulled it out and saw that I had a message from an unknown number. I clicked on the envelope to open it up.

Hey. I haven't heard from you in a bit. Is everything going okay?

It took me a minute to realize that this was Harry's number. I was a little bit irritated that he hadn't waited for me to text him like I told him to. I brushed it off and text him back.

I'm fine. Just been a long few days.

We text back and forth for the next hour. I found myself smiling as his texts came through. I unloaded the dishwasher and reloaded it. After the whole house was put back together (it didn't take long cause I clean it everyday) I sat on the couch with a book. It was only ten and I didn't know how to spend the rest of my Friday. I wished that I could just go into town and shop, or meet up with my mom.

I hate to keep asking, but I'd really just like to go get coffee with you or something.

I put my book down beside me and contemplated what to do. My need to get out of the house and do something without Chad following me was getting overbearing.

Okay. But I have to be back by three. And I'm going to need a ride.

I didn't know what I was doing, but I was going to go along with it.

Text me your address. I'm leaving my place right now.

In the back of my mind something was telling me to back out now while it was still possible, but I pushed that thought as far to the back of my mind as possible and sent him the address. I walked up the stairs and put on a pair of black leather boots. I put a hair tie on my wrist just in case, and grabbed my purse off the hook in the closet.

I looked out the big window in the sitting room and saw that the clouds were dark. I grabbed my black knee length winter coat and sat on the couch to wait. About twenty or so minutes later, I saw a black car pull up in front of my house. At first I was worried that it was someone else and not Harry, but as the drivers door opened, I saw the same boy from the restaurant and I became excited. 

I walked to the front door and met him in the driveway before he could get even halfway to the door. He smiled at me and I gave him the best smile I had. We walked to the car and he opened the door for me. I was a little unsure. I could still walk back in the house and pretend this whole thing never happened.

My feet had other plans as they shuffled towards the car and I sat down in the passengers seat. Harry made sure I was in before he shut the door and jogged around to his side. He got in and started the car, turning the heat on full blast.

"It's bloody cold in this state!" He said as he rubbed his hands together. 

"Sorry where are my manners. How are you love?" He flashed a dimply smile at me and I laughed.

"I'm fine. Cold. But fine." He chuckled and started driving. We drove in silence for a few miles. You would think it would be awkward, but it really wasn't.