T E N

"It felt like... It was meant to be from the start, like a missing part of me." I say. Minho had asked me what happened as soon as i'd reached the breakfast table.

I kept denying it but he saw my uncontrollable smiles. So I gave in and told him we kissed. He immediately asked me what it was like - he couldn't remember kissing anyone before.

"Look who it is!" He exclaims pointing behind me.

"What?" I turn to where he's looking and its Newt, walking towards us - he looks at Minho and then back to me with a look that says; 'why in God's name did you tell him?' I grin and shrug as he slots himself into the seat beside me.

"So Newt," Minho whines, "Tell me..." He winks once again.

I turn to look at him but he just stares at Minho - but I feel his hand trace up my thigh and rotate, palm up and I place my hand in his under the table.

"Felt like I could finally be free. You know, from this place."

Minho's lopsided smile in return shows me how much being free means to them both, and I want nothing more than to give them all the happy ending they deserve.

We finish up breakfast and make our way to the gardens, saying goodbye to Minho on the way as he departs and walks into the woods.

We're about two hours into work when I see it. Someone sprinting out from the woods.

"Who's that?" I ask Newt, turning to face him.

"Thomas?" Newt squints.

"Who?"

"Oh, Greenie, he remembered his name." Newt pauses, staring as another figure runs out of the woods behind him. "Holy klunk, is that Ben?"

Ben chases Thomas out from the woods and Thomas starts screaming.

Newt grabs his shovel out from the ground and runs towards where Ben tackles him to the ground. I stumble but follow swiftly after, chasing but being swarmed with all the other boys.

I see Newt swing his shovel and it collides with Ben's head, knocking him to the ground where four other boys pin him down.

I find Fry at the back of a couple of boys and I stand by him, and watch the commotion.

"Lift up his shirt." Alby says grimacing in pain.

Newt does and then I see it. His stomach is infected, vines - the same from my vision - growing from a hole in his abdomen. I turn away, hyperventilating and I hear Newt yell at Fry to take me and Thomas to his hut. I turn back trying to argue with him,

"No I'm not goin-"

"Lila." Newt bores his eyes into mine with a hard stare and I realise that there's more to this than I know.

"Okay."

As I grab Thomas by the arm I see Newt nod once at me before looking back at Alby. I pat Fry on the shoulder letting him know were going, and he tells me not to come out until Newt comes back. I nod. I hear Newt mutter a one word question to Alby.

"Slammers?"

I'm not watching but I can tell he nods.

🏃

Thomas and I are sitting on Newts bed when he comes back. We'd been there for hours and it was starting to get dark. We'd sat in silence to start with, then we started to talk and I found some food in Newts cupboard. So when he walked in we were laughing and throwing food at eachother. The laughter stopped when I saw his face. He looks at us and I see tear stains down his cheek before he turns away trying to hide his red eyes.