13: All Alone

Sorry if I haven't been posting a lot. I've been having some major writer's block, not going to lie. I have a BUNCH of ideas, but I'm saving them for way later in the story.

So if it's boring, just bear with me and I promise promise promise that it will get better soon... hopefully.

Also, I just want to clarify that this story takes place in the future. About 4-6 years from now. So yeah. Sorry if that was confusing.

~Anne

(Hannah's POV)

I had to go into work, so I took the long train and bus ride to Queens to get to my office. It's not a very interesting ride or job, but I do it anyways because a girls gotta get money!

Once I reached the office, I said hello the man at the desk, Jerry. I went up the elevator, and walked to my office is.

"It's awfully quiet." I said out loud, placing my bag on my desk.

"That's probably because you're not supposed to be here." I turned around to see one of my co-workers walking to me.

"What do you mean I'm not supposed to be here?" I asked, placing my hands on my hips.

"It's the bosses birthday. He gave everyone the day off. Didn't you get the e-mail?" My co-worker's name is Edith. I didn't really hang out with her that much, but we've made small talk before. She opened her phone, and showed me an e-mail telling everyone to take the day off and celebrate his birthday.

"Karl should know by now that I never check my e-mails!" I rolled my eyes and rubbed my forehead. "Wait... then why are you here?" I pointed to Edith.

"I'm a Jehovah's Witness. Don't celebrate birthdays."

"Ah." I nodded my head, pretending to know what that was. I'm not that ethnic. "So what do we do now?"

"Go home?"

"I really don't want to." Edith looked surprised that I had said that. 

"Why not?"

"Well, I already paid $5.50 for the train and bus ride to get here, and wasted about an hour of my life doing so... might as well make it worth it."

Edith nodded, trying to think of what to do. "Wait... since no one is here... that means the food court is open!"

"So is the tv room!"

"And the computer lab!"

"And the office supplies!"

"And the complementary pixy stix won't be all gone!"

"Pixie sticks?!" I almost yelled. "WE GET COMPLEMENTARY PIXY STIX?"

"My point exactly."

"You know what else we do...? Snoop."

"Can we look through Karl's desk?"

"Oh, and Stephanie's."

"Gosh, I hate Stephanie."

"Exactly. We could blackmail her!"

"I think you and I are going to be good friends, Edith."

"My name is Elizabeth..."

We just stared at each other awkwardly. How did I work with this lady for almost 5 years and still not know her name?!

Elizabeth laughed. "I'm just kidding! It's Edith, it's Edith."

"Eliza-I mean Edith! You scared me, jeez."

"What should we do first?" Edith asked, jumping all around.