Fifty-Nine - May 5, 2018

Start from the beginning

I knocked on Luke's door, and we headed downstairs to find Jane.

"Mom?" he asked tentatively, knocking on her bedroom door.

She didn't answer, but the door was slightly ajar. We went in slowly, carefully.

"Jane?" I asked, rounding the corner to see her on the bed, holding an unopened bottle of Jack Daniels in her hands.

Luke gasped. "Mom. No, please don't do that," he said, rushing to her and taking it from her hands. He thrust it toward me and I held it awkwardly, kind of wishing I could take a quick swig.

He sat down next to her on the bed, putting his arm around her. "Mom, I'm so sorry for what I said."

She shook her head. "Lucas... you have every right to be upset. But you don't know the whole story."

"I know. That's why we came down here. I'm listening now, Mom."

Jane looked at me sadly. "Miles, you may not want to hear this."

I shook my head and sat on the other side of her. "I need to hear it, Aunt Jane. Please."

She sighed and closed her eyes.

"It was New Year's Eve... 1998..."

Prince's "1999" was playing on the stereo, the drinks were flowing, and everyone at the party was having a blast.

The party was at one of William's hotels– one of the first ones he ever owned. It was private – William and his wife, Adam, some old high school classmates and college fraternity brothers, co-workers, and I... we were all there, and everyone was having a good time.

And as usual, I was having too good of a time. I was on my fifth margarita, and I was dancing with Adam in the middle of the dance floor.

"Jane, maybe you should stop drinking," Adam murmured in my ear.

"No way! It's New Year's Eve," I slurred. "Forget it!"

He rolled his eyes and wrapped his arm tighter around my waist. "You're going to end up sick."

"But it's so much fun!" I cheered, dragging him off the floor to where my margarita waited.

I drank it... and then I had some tequila shots... and before I knew it, Adam's prophecy had come true – I was swaying on my feet, just before passing out.

"God damn it, Jane," Adam muttered, holding me up. He waved William over.

"Jesus, Adam. Your wife is fucking embarrassing," he scoffed.

"Shut it, William. Is there a room where she can go lie down?" he asked.

"Yeah... I'll take her. You really need to pay your tab – the bar is shutting down for the night," he said.

Adam paused, looking between me and the bar, where a rather long line was forming. "Go ahead, honey," I slurred. "I just need a lil nap."

"Fine. Which room?"

William looked at the key in his hand. "205."

"All right. Go get some rest, love. I'll be up to check on you soon," Adam said, pushing my blonde hair off my forehead.

"Mmmhmm," I hummed, my head falling against William's shoulder.

Adam turned and went toward the bar, and William took me to the elevator... to the fourth floor.

When we got to the room, William shut the door and locked it behind us.

"What are you doing?" I asked, sitting on the edge of the bed and kicking off my heels.