11: Hypocrite is my new Favorite Word

Start from the beginning

I looked down at my jacket feeling like I was forgetting something.

Someone popped into my mind, and I remembered he lent me his jacket because I decided I was walking home.

I walked back to my room to get the leather jacket. When I had gotten home I did fall asleep, but woke up in the middle of the night and found I had fallen asleep with his jacket on. I made sure to let it dry.

After walking out of my house and locking the door, I started walking to school.

***

As I walked down the halls of Donavan High almost reaching my locker I was turned around when someone had grabbed me by the shoulder.

Jacob looked down at me, with no emotion in his face and, after what felt like an eternity, he pulled me to the side, in front of my locker.

We stared at each other for a while, neither one of us talking.

"I'm sorry," we both said it at the same time.

'Why is he sorry?'

"Why are you sorry?" he voiced my thoughts.

I furrowed my eyebrows and put my stuff away in my locker. "Because I shouldn't have brought up what happened with Madison?" But it didn't come out as sure as I thought I would be. I was confused. "Why are you sorry?"

It was his turn to look confused. "Because you were the one who was right. I was being a hypocrite, I did something I called the police for on someone else. If you think that bringing Madison up was the wrong thing to do you shouldn't, if anything it just brought me back to my senses," he said with a look of sincerity. "I felt absolutely horrible after what you said." He hesitantly placed a hand on my shoulder. I turned to my, thankfully still opened, locker when he was done and handed him the jacket that I had accidentally placed in my locker along with my other stuff.

I nodded with a smile and was surprised when he bent down a little then wrapped his arms around me in a hug. But I didn't say anything, instead did the same around his torso.

When we pulled apart, I took off my jacket because the teachers usually turn on the heater on rainy days.

Jacob was staring at somewhere below my face. As I was about to question him he asked, "What happened there?" And tugged lightly at the neck line of my shirt.

I looked down to see what he was talking about and saw he was talking about the bruise I got from my father when Jacob had left after the day Jacob and I had at the fair.

I stilled, what happened to the make-up I put on it?

'Maybe the rain washed it off?' the voice in my head said like I was dumb.

I gulped and decided to answer when I saw Jacob had his eyebrows raised waiting for one. "It's nothing. I was just being dumb and was laying on my bed texting Alyssa with the phone up in the air and the thing fell right there." I came up with the lamest excuse, that even a three year old could come up with something better.

He shook his head, not agreeing with what I said. "The size of it is way bigger than a phone, though," he muttered, still staring intensely at the mark.

"Don't worry about it."

"Ahem," someone cleared their throat. We both turned to the voice and saw a not-so-very-happy-Aiden glaring at Jacob's arm between us. He turned his stare to Jacob, who was frozen in place, after a while he let his hand drop.

Aiden looked mad, to say the least, I concluded and then thought, 'But, why?' All Jacob was doing was worrying about a big bruise, anyone sane and caring would do that.