Ramadān Qur'an Gem 26 {88:8-9}: "Joyful and Glad"

The one who knows what ''for the sake of Allah'' truly signifies will start to live a life of true submission.

Bismillah

Joyful & Glad

(Other) faces that Day (يَوۡمَٮِٕذٍ۬) will be joyful (نَّاعِمَةٌ۬). Glad with their endeavor (لِّسَعۡيِہَا رَاضِيَةٌ۬).

{Surat Al-Ghaashiyah 88: Verse 8-9}

•Allah(Subhanahu Wa Ta’aala) says that some faces will be joyful (نَّاعِمَةٌ۬) on that Day. Na’im literally means the face that you make when you’re given a gift – a reflection of joy. نَّاعِمَةٌ۬also means all kinds of relaxation, happiness, no signs of stress nor exhaustion.

•The word يَوۡمَٮِٕذٍ (that Day) linguistically also implies that those who will enjoy that bliss on that Day isn’t going to get that relaxation in this dunya, rather they put a lot of work right now. They exhausted themselves for the sake of Allah, yet on that Day they’ll be raised fresh and relaxed (the total opposite of the group mentioned in the previous post).

•On top of that, these people will be glad with their effort – لِّسَعۡيِہَا رَاضِيَةٌ۬. The word sa’ie is a fast, paced walk i.e. you’re really busy doing something, or rushing to meet a deadline. So what it means is that these people are really content with the diligent effort they did in this dunya which they carried out with a sense of urgency. Those efforts include their salat, remembering Allah, staying away from the haram, spreading the message of this Deen etc.

•The word ‘li’ in this ayat also implies that they’re happy for given the chance to work for the sake of Allah. They’re pleased with their Rabb not just because Allah gave them Jannah, but because He (Subhanahu Wa Ta’aala) honoured them by giving them opportunity to do things that pleased Him. In other words when you and I obey Allah, it is an honour from Allah. It is something that we will thank Allah for.

•But the reality is we have to force ourselves when it comes to doing works for the akhirah. How difficult it is for someone to give charity. But the moment he steps into the mall, infaq fisabili Walmart doesn’t bat an eyelid. Imam Alousi rahimahullah commented that it really takes effort to do things for the Deen.

So if we want to be from this group of joyful faces, let’s strive hard for the sake of Allah. Let’s memorize surah, let’s go to Islamic lectures, let’s be the best to our parents, let’s pray salat on time. Be a better Muslim & continue to persevere in our efforts for the sake of Allah!

====================================
Gems extracted from tafseer of Surat Al-Ghaashiyah by Ustadh Nouman Ali Khan.