I've noticed lately, Devin's been avoiding any mentions or topics about families when we are together. He still probably thinking about the fact I would be uncomfortable about talking about my own. Considering all the circumstances and events in the past. It is true, recalling memories does make me sad, but I feel much better and less burdened, when I talk to somebody about it. I call him my therapist of sorts. I put a lot of trust into him and that pleases him the most. 

Slowly, he's been telling me a little bit about his family's history. Devin was 4 when his parent's were killed in an accident. His parents were driving home from a charity dinner and left the two kids at home with a babysitter.  A drunk driver swerved out of lane and unfortunately hit his parents' car at high speed, making them lose control of their car and careening over a hill into a ditch. Their car impacted the ground hard, crashing it and the passengers inside, killing them instantly. 

Devin said he doesn't remember much since this all happen when he was young. Though he has snippets of memory of the funeral. But what he remembers vividly is his father's sister, his aunt, making a promise on the day that she will take good care of him and 1 year old Jane. Which she upheld with her wife, and cared for the siblings, adopting them and caring for them like their own children. His grandfather happily filled in as the male figure and influence, that is somewhat lacking in their household. Devin's family wasn't "normal" for say, but it is a family. A very close family. 

I did want to feel sorry for him. Both of my biological parents were still alive. But then, he needed no real sympathy from me. He was young and hardly remembers his original parents, but he still had parents, that feed him and took care of him. Even now, fully grown, Devin's still sees them, his aunt and her wife as his parents. That made me realize how shallow my thinking was. I was a little ashamed of myself but I got over it and is most eager to meet his parents in the coming days, though also a little nerves. I hope I make a good first impression.  

The big day couldn't have come any sooner. Heaven blessed the day with perfect weather of sunny skies with not a cloud in sight. A beautiful day to celebrate. 

Admittedly, I couldn't sleep a wink last night, with my excitement running high. This weekend is expected to be fun. A party has been planned to kick off this grand opening, with plenty of cake and goodies to go around. Friends, long time customers, employees and their families, all are going to be there to celebrate this occasion. Even Devin and his co-workers from Rovern Firm are going to  be there, as well of course his parents and sister. 

I knew it would be big, but I didn't know that it would be this big enough to attract, small time local reporters and journalists. It also would have a small honour of having a short feature in the local tv news and small announcement in the local radio. They would be broadcasting the ceremonial opening of the doors to the public, and a small tour of the newly renovated Haven Bakery. 

Another addition added to my new store is a small Coffee Cafe. A small space I've leased out to a friend to help along with his dream. Johnathan, who has become a well trained and proffessional barista. He makes great espressos, and would do well in bringing me more customers to the store. Plus, he promised me, the landlord,  unlimited coffee.

In the late morning around 11am, I did the most cliche opening ceremony by cutting a huge red ribbon, signally the official opening of my store. Everyone that came to witness it, applaud loud and cheered me on and wished me great success. Afterwords a huge barbecue was going and people were soon enjoying themselves on this fine day. The bakery doors were opened for everyone to see what it looks like inside, and I have to say it was wonderful, it fitted perfectly as I had pictured it in my mind. Even Melanie, the artist, was quite impressed, she only ever seen this place  in sketches, and only had an idea of what it would look like. The finished product didn't fail to impress.