chapter two

UPDATE: 4/15/18

***

Charles and Erik had explained to Maureen that they were going to pick up one more mutant, and that they needed her assistance.

That's why Maureen was standing inside an aquarium at the moment, staring at fish in one of the exhibits. They were clown fish, Maureen guessed. Sometimes she wondered what it would be like to live in the water, as if she was an underwater creature. She always wanted to be a kraken or a siren.

"You seem to be staring at those fish hard."

Maureen felt herself jump when she heard the voice, and looked around for the source. She found to her left that there was a teenaged boy by her side. He was taller than her by a good few inches. He had red hair and freckles, but you had to look close enough to see them. He could have been no more but just a few years older than her. She guessed he was around seventeen or eighteen years old.

Maureen swallowed. What could she say to this boy? Was this the mutant that Charles and Erik wanted to find? Her instincts told her to keep talking to the older teen.

Heart thumping, Maureen answered. "I find things underwater fascinating. I love the sea. I like fish."

Immediately Maureen wanted to kick herself. What kind of answer was that?

"Hm. That's crazy," the boy began. "You like fish and I like fish too. Maybe we should get a bite sometime and talk about it," he ended, rolling his head and tilting it down to face her. She was really short compared to him, as she was to everyone.

Maureen bit her cheek, trying not to laugh. That was one of the most...pathetic pick up lines she had ever heard, but she thought it was funny. She hoped that he realized that she was a little young for him.

"I'd rather go out with the fish," Maureen told the redhead, trying not to sound amused as she gave him a sincere look. She decided that she had enough of this little amusing counter; she turned to walk away, when she heard a high pitched whistling sound. She had almost missed it, but she caught it just in time. It made her wonder...

"These fish?" the boy asked, and Maureen turned around. She found that the fish they were both observing just seconds ago had disappeared from sight. The young girl couldn't help but grin figuring out that yes, this must be the boy Charles and Erik told her about.

"Is that what you like to do? Scare all the fish away with your...ability?" Maureen wondered with some curiosity, and she watched the boy's face become pale, just as Charles and Erik came up behind her.

"Thank you, Maureen," said Charles, before he and Erik started to talk to the boy.

* * *

On their way to the CIA, Maureen found out that the boy's name was Sean Cassidy and that yes, he liked to scare the fish away. He was seventeen years old and he still lived with his family. Maureen thought he was funny.

"So, how old are you Maureen?" Sean asked her.

"I'm fifteen," she replied.

"You're too young for me," Sean replied almost suddenly. "You're good looking, but you're too young for me, even though we're two years apart. Are you being serious? Was I hitting on a fifteen year old girl?"

"You weren't doing a very good job at it," Maureen admitted. "Is that how you talk to women? If so, you need to do better."

Maureen could hear Charles chuckle softly to himself and could feel that Erik was a bit annoyed at her and Sean for chattering so much, as time went on.