Not that I needed her to – I could have easily taken them both. But that would have meant drawing attention to myself.

The fact that Bianca – who was thin and short and scrawny – stepped in to help me, changed everything.

It was hard pretending to be someone you’re not. But it was harder doing it alone. Bianca didn’t care about my past – she was too busy living in the here and now. She changed my perspective on life.

I’d been torn between the past that haunted me and the uncertain future that lay ahead.

Bianca taught me how to live in the present.

I sat down next to Donald, and turned slightly towards him. “Hi,” I said softly.

Donald continued his furious note-taking as though he hadn’t heard me, but his mouth curved into a smile.

It had taken all of my willpower not to look directly at them as I came in. My eyes just seemed to keep wanting to go in their direction. Especially one in particular.

It wasn’t until Mr. Jones started talking that I let my guard down, and felt my shoulders relax.

I turned, making a show of taking my things out of my bag as I discreetly peeked through the curtain of my hair.

I had time to notice that Jonathon was no longer wearing his jacket, and that despite being slim, the black t-shirt did nothing to hide the simple fact he was well built, then he looked up.

My heart skipped a beat.

There was no denying it, something about him unnerved me. But it also intrigued me.

For a moment, there was an almost wolfish look in his eyes as they met mine, and I felt my breath catch.

I have no idea why certain people make me think of animals. It’s always been a peculiar quirk of mine.

Madison was harder to define. Sometimes, she was like a swan, devastatingly beautiful and graceful. But as she glanced at Jonathon and saw him watching me, there was something almost hawk-like and predatory about her.

It made me wonder if they had a history together.

I looked away, still unnerved by my first encounter with them.

Jenifer, don’t-call-me-Jen, spent the next few minutes glaring at me as though I had arranged to sit next to ‘her’ Donald just to spite her.

Then, when she realized Donald wasn’t paying me the slightest bit of attention, she quickly changed tactics.

The girl was completely hot and cold.

When Mr. Jones told everyone to grab a text book, Jenifer leapt out of her chair as though it was the very opportunity she’d been waiting for.

“Hi Ellie,” she smiled, glancing slyly at Donald. “Just thought I’d see how you were settling in.”

“Fine,” I said.

I didn’t want to encourage her.

She wasn’t at all bothered.

“Hi Donald,” Jenifer said brightly.

Donald looked up, his face flushing again. “Hi Jenifer.”

Jenifer beamed at him, but he had already returned to his notes.

Donald was just as clueless as Jenifer.

Jenifer cleared her throat. “Have you started on your Extra Credit yet, Donald? I have. I’ve decided to do an oral presentation on the interaction between radiation and matter.”