7

• Dedicated to everyone who has read my story, thank you :D

      7

Somehow I already knew where Jonathon was the moment I walked into the cafeteria. And he knew where I was. He looked up as I walked in.

Being careful not to look directly at him, I searched for an empty table.

It was a strange feeling, being so aware of him. It made me feel self-conscious. It also heightened my senses.

I was relieved when I heard Beck call my name.

“Ellie – over here.”

I fixed a smile on my face as I headed for her table, too aware of the exaggerated sway of my hips in my heels, and – imagined or not – the feel of Jonathon’s eyes following me.

If it had of been Bianca, I would have just sat down, and asked her if he was watching me. But it wasn’t Bianca. Bianca thought I was dead.

“Hi,” I said, relieved to see Beck’s friendly face all the same.

“The others should be here soon.” She took a bite of her burger. “You going to get something to eat?”

“I’m not really hungry,” I said.

My stomach was tied up in knots, and the idea of food at that moment was slightly nauseating.

Then Melissa – who I met earlier that morning – was there.

“Hi Beck. Hi, Ellie.” Melissa set her tray on the table, the smell of hot chips wafting past me.

“Hi.” I smiled at Melissa, glancing warily at the camera she pulled from the black case around her neck.

“What’s with the camera?” Beck asked.

“Mr. Engle asked me to take some photos for the yearbook.” Melissa grimaced. “Like I don’t already have enough to do. Hey Ellie, smile.”

The flash went off as I leapt to my feet, my father’s warning still fresh in my mind. I did it without thought. To be honest, I thought my father was being completely paranoid, but his warnings were so deeply ingrained in me that my response was automatic.

“Hey,” Melissa pouted. “I didn’t want a shot of your boobs.”

“Sorry – just realized I was hungry after all,” I said, my face flushing as I turned towards the cafeteria. “Maybe I’ll grab an apple.”

“Here, have mine,” Melissa said, tossing a shiny red apple at me.

“Um – thanks,” I said as I caught it. “You don’t want it?”

“Nah – they give them out with the fries. Supposed to make them seem like a healthier choice or something.” She shoved a handful of fries in her mouth.

I sat back down, glad that Melissa seemed to be much more interested in her food than the camera.

A boy with shaggy blonde hair reached over Melissa’s shoulder. “Thanks, you shouldn’t have,” he said as he helped himself to her fries.

Melissa smacked his hand away, but she was smiling as he sat down next to her.

“You better watch out for Chris – he’ll eat anything that isn’t nailed down,” Melissa warned.

“So, you’re Ellie,” Chris smiled, and I couldn’t help but smile back.

He had a round, shiny face, and warm blue eyes.

“If you want anyone to show you around town, just give me a shout,” he said.

“Yeah – take you all of five minutes,” Melisa smirked. “Welcome to Boringville.”