26

song for chapter: light by sleeping at last
{ with every heartbeat I have left, I'll defend you. I promise, I'll do better."

AUGUST
[ ETHAN'S POV ]

My fingers hovered over the keyboard on my phone preparing to type, but I was unsure.

I felt stuck. What if I say the wrong thing, or what if I come off as too strong?

We haven't talked in so long and if she moved on, I don't want this to be awkward.

Who am I kidding? It's going to be awkward either way.

I began typing my thoughts-not being for sure if I should send it, but then my thumb clicked send.

3:40pm
me: happy 19th birthday, I love and miss you. please come home.

My chest breathed in heavily making my cheeks puff up, then exhaled.

Was that too much?

Did I come off as too strong?

Fuck it.

I clicked the power button on my phone, then letting it fall out of my hands landing on my bed.

Eleven years I've known her. Four of those years I've spent loving her. Seven of them I spent hurting her.

I can't believe she's nineteen today. She's not even here to spend it with us; with me.

I pushed myself off of my bed, opening my bedroom door, and walking downstairs.

"Hey bud." Jeff patted my shoulder before passing me and walking up the stairs.

"Ethan, you're up!" Taylor smiled while putting her plate into the dishwasher.

"And?" I raised my eyebrows being confused on why they were all being so friendly today.

"And?" Grayson questioned me like I was dumb.

Oh boy, I already know what's coming.

"Do you know what today is?" Grayson questioned probably thinking I forgot.

I let out a huff of air while pulling the fridge door open, "yes, I know what today is." I mumbled.

"Come on, man." Graysons hands grabbed onto my shoulders, "let's just be happy today."

"Why would we be happy? She's not even here for it?" I gave him a certain look as if he were dumb.

"We are celebrating her. She's accomplished so much. Let's just have fun today." He told me while letting go of my shoulders.

"You know, that's a great offer and all, but I think I'm just gonna stay home." I awkwardly denied him.

A chuckle came from the staircase causing both of our heads to turn, "oh you're definitely coming with us." Jeff jogged down the stairs in a blue bathing suit with a towel over his shoulder.

"Where?" I questioned.

"The backyard." Grayson chuckled pointing to the back window.

There were already a couple people outback and a bunch of food was set out onto the table. Guess I didn't even notice.

"We're throwing a small party today, just a bunch of people coming to hangout." Taylor told me while taking a sip from her water bottle.

"Yeah," I squinted my eyes while rubbing my lips together, "I'm gonna have to take a hard pass on that one."

"Dude, come on." Grayson groaned getting pissed off because of my mood.

I don't know what he expects?