IV

"So you really saw him selling coke to a guy?" My best friend Spencer asks.

"Yup. Goin' so smoothly, but I fucked shit up of course." I say tapping ashes off my cigarette over the balcony of his apartment.

Spencer has been my best friend for as long as I remember. We went to high school together, and he's stuck with me through all things. We may not see each other as much as we used to, but that doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that I can talk to him civilly and I won't feel guilt.

He's a great guy.

"Well, you could have just left. It's not like it's illegal for you to go up on the roof. It's a public facility."

I wave Spencer off, "Yeah whatever. It's over now."

"I can't believe you saved his life."

"Save is a bit of an exaggeration. I don't think that guy would have actually shot him." I say taking another drag of my cigarette, blowing smoke into the blue sky.

It was a day I had off my telemarketing job, so I decided to hang out with Spencer until I have to work at the pizza place.

"I don't know Ryan, when people do drugs, they tend to do some crazy shit."

"Yeah what do you know Spence." I say tossing my cigarette off the balcony.

"Just some shit I've read off the news." Spencer replies, tossing his cigarette as well.

"You know they stretch the truth to make stories interesting." I scoff.

"Yeah you're right." he shrugged, "So, what happened after you shooed off the druggie?"

"Well," I shrug, "He thanked me for not letting him die, I told him wishing death on people is a shit thing to do, and then he gave me 20$ of his cut and we went out separate ways."

"Ah, I see."

"It was probably the only civilized conversation I've had with him." I acknowledge.

Spencer scoffed and rolls his eyes, "Oh calm down, it's not the only one you've had with him."

"Yeah you're probably right." I said looking off to the distance of the city skyline.

"You know I'm right." Spencer chuckled.

"C'mon, lets go inside." I ask as I open his sliding door and enter his room. He's more of a smoker than I am, so his house reeks of cigarette ash. It's not pleasant.

"So what does this mean between you two? You and Brendon I mean." Spencer asks following after me.

I quickly shoot a look to Spencer, "What do you mean?"

"Well, you did a nice gesture for him. Does that make you two friends ag-"

"Don't. No. Brendon and I won't be friends for a long time. Possibly ever. Just because I did one minor deed for him, does not mean I like him nor want anything to do with him." I snarl.

Spencer holds his hands up in defense, "Chill out Ryan. It was just a question."

I rolled my eyes and grab my coat, walking towards the front door of his apartment, "I'm leaving Spence. I'll see you when I see ya." I sigh, opening the door.

"Oh.. well, bye I guess." Spencer says with guilt coating his voice. He probably feels guilty for setting me off. Which he should. But if he knows anything about me, he knows Brendon is the one thing I will go off and get really heated about.