Mr. Mysterious and the Maid-Chapter 3

Start from the beginning

“Surely, you didn’t think that I just sit at home the whole day. I’m attending the university you’re going to, so we might as well go together. It’ll help me keep an eye on you.”

“Great…I have a chaperone,” I said, sarcastically.

“There’s no time for complaining or snide remarks. Let’s go.”

*

Once we got to the school, I thought I could distance myself from Shadow right away, but he kept his arm around me.

I noticed that people were staring at us.

“I’m not your property,” I said, quietly.

“You’re my maid, so technically you are.”

“That is so insulting. I am my own person. I am—”

I was cut off when one of Shadow placed his hand over my mouth.

“Shut. Up.”

I shoved his hand away. “You can’t just—”

“Stop talking. I’ll meet you by the front entrance after class. Don’t get into any trouble. If anyone asks you seemingly strange questions about me, don’t say anything. Got it?”

“I got it.”

After he walked away, a girl quickly approached me.

“I’d be careful if I were you,” she warned.

“Um, why?”

“My best friend used to work for him.”

“I don’t—”

“Don’t try to lie to me and tell me you don’t find something strange about him. I’m Melody, by the way.”

“I’m Luna. It’s nice to meet you. So…why should I be careful around Shadow?”

“You’re not from around here, huh?”

“I’m not.”

“Well, let me explain. My friend was his maid and got fired after a week, and I asked her why. Apparently, the boss is really controlling. She described it as ‘knowing what she was doing, yet not having any say.’ It’s as if he manipulated her into doing anything he wanted.”

“How is that possible?” I questioned.

“I don’t know, but after she got fired…she was really shocked and for days, she kept bring up the subject of lavender.”

“Lavender…” I said, quietly.

“Yeah, lavender, weird, right? And that’s not it. Every time she would see Shadow, she’d freak out. She ultimately decided to just move out of the area. Working in that house changes someone. Everyone around here knows about the maids of the Vincent family. It never turns out right for them.”

“Well, thanks for the warning.”

“No problem. You seem like a weak one.”

“Why do people keep saying that?” I mumbled, remembering how Charlie called me weak.

And Shadow called me innocent.

Am I seriously such a good girl that it leads people to think I’d be easy to fool?

*

I got through the school day and waited by the front entrance for Shadow.

I saw him walking down the hallway, being followed by a girl in a mini skirt.