Runaways

Trigger warning: mentions of suicide, attempt at suicide, and self harm!!!
Sam's POV:

It started getting dark. We stayed by the water. I looked out at the water and noticed how beautiful it is when the moon reflects off the water. I then get an idea.

I undress completely then jump into the water. Ash ran to the edge of the water and looked for me. I stay under the water.

I go completely numb due to the cold water surrounding me. I hear water splash around me. I feel my limp body being lifted out of the water.

I feel Ash's lips against mine. Am I even breathing? Everything is dark. I open my eyes and see Ash's face. He looks scared.

"Holy shit Sammy! What the hell!?" He yells.

"I-Im sorry." I say.

He hugs me. He picks me up and puts his jacket on me. He takes me back to the center. As we walk in the door we see Miss. Christine pacing. She looks at us and runs over.

"Holy cow, you two are okay." She says and hugs us. "Sam you're freezing!"

I didn't realize that I was shivering.

"Sammy we're going to get you warm okay?" Ash says.

I nod. He took me to our room and piled blankets over me. I snuggle into the blankets.

"Why did you do that?" Ash asks me.

"What?" I ask.

"Why did you jump into the river?" He asks.

"I just..." I pause.

Do I want to tell him that I was hoping that I would drown? Would he be better off not knowing?

"I don't know." I lied.

"Okay. Please never do something like that again Sammy. Please." He says.

"Okay. I won't." I say.

"Get some sleep Sammy. I'm going to take a shower, is that okay?" Ash says.

"Yeah." I say.

Ash grabs some clothes and a towel then go into the bathroom. I get up and put on a flannel shirt, jeans, convers, and a jacket. I put on a beanie for extra warmth, then I grab my phone and charger and stuff them in my pocket.

I look at the bathroom door then go over to the window. I open it then look outside. Luckily, our room is the first floor, I hop out of the window then close it. I run. I feel my feet hit the ground.

Where am I going to go? I ask myself. Would the waterfall be too obvious? Yeah. I know. Under the bridge.

I go to the bridge that's on the outskirts of town. I go under the bridge and curl up into a ball.

I look at my phone, I see at least thirteen texts from Ash.

A: Sammy!? Where are you!?

A: Sammy!

A: Sammy please respond!

A: are you safe?

A: did you run away?

A: Sammy?

A: we're you kidnapped?

A: please respond!

A: please come back!

I ignore his texts. Then he calls me. I just let it ring.

A: why arrent you responding!?

A: if you don't respond I'm going to go to the station!

I still don't respond. I stay under the bridge. I pick up a stick and draw in the dirt. My phone is blowing up. I look at it and see there's an Amber alert out for me.

I ignore every text I get. I don't want to talk to anyone. I look up and wonder how tall the bridge is. I scoot so that no one could see me.

I reach into my pocket and find a pocket knife. I roll up my sleeve and drag the blade across my skin. I see trickles of blood rush down my arm and I continue to drag the cold blade across my skin until my entire for arm is covered in the red liquid.

I admire the picture I painted in red. I hear Ash's voice calling out for me. I turn my phone off and stand up. I hide further back in the bridge. I run into the woods and find a cave and hide in there. I put some branches and vines over the entrance so that no one could find me.

Just to be sure I lay down on the ground and look out of a little hole from the bottom. I see beams of light.

"Sam!?" I hear people yelling.

"Sammy!?" I hear Ash yell.

I quietly sob as they walk by looking for me. They stand near enough that I can hear what they're saying.

"I don't think he's out here Ash." I hear Miss. Greene say.

"He has to be." Ash says.

"How long has he been missing again?" Miss. Greene asks.

"Only a half hour." Ash says.

"Well, let's check the waterfall. Maybe he went there to collect his thoughts." Miss. Greene says.

Then I hear them walk away. After about ten minutes I get up and run deeper into the forest. I come across a riverbank. I find a log and sit on it by the water.

I don't even know where I am. I know that I will eventually have to face Ash, but I decide that I don't want to talk to anyone right now.

I look up at the sky and see the sun is starting to come out. I decide to go find a place to hide until night. I find a tall tree. I climb it sit on the thickest branch. I lean against the trunk and fall asleep to the sound of the flowing river.